Administrative Assistant (4722C), Space Sciences Laboratory - 31714
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The SSL is an Organized Research Unit (ORU) of the Berkeley campus reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Research. SSL's primary goal is to foster research in space-related sciences and to provide education for the next generation of space scientists. Research at SSL, led by Berkeley faculty and SSL Senior Fellows, focuses on experiments and observations carried out in space as well as theoretical and basic research. Since its inception in 1959, SSL has participated in over 50 NASA space science missions, including the Apollo, Mars, Discovery, and Explorer programs, as well as many international space missions. SSL researchers have pioneered the development of instrumentation for study of the Sun, the interplanetary medium, the planets, and the Earth; for ultraviolet, X-ray, gamma-ray, and infrared astronomy; and for the measurement of the cosmic microwave background. SSL provides the engineering and technical capabilities required to develop and fabricate individual space instruments, an entire scientific payload for a spacecraft, or an entire space mission from start-to-finish-complete with in-house instrument design and fabrication; instrument and spacecraft integration and testing; launch support; mission and science operations, including commanding the spacecraft and bringing the data down to SSL's own ground station; and data processing and analysis.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 4, 2022
- Review documentation and forms related to SSL's travel/entertainment requests for compliance with University policy;
- Monitor processing of purchase orders and payment requests for vendors, reimbursement and honorarium payments for individuals in BearBuy
- Work with Vendoring Unit to add/update vendors in BFS.
- May compile and array spreadsheets using subject-matter knowledge of the material to ensure data results are consistent with the nature of the data.
- May analyze trends
- Submits and manages reimbursements for department visitors.
- Determines need for general office equipment and supplies and office meeting logistics. This includes coordinating large, complex conferences/meetings/programs.
- Works with department management to update/review/revise website or printed materials to better communicate organization's mission, requiring substantive knowledge of organization's goals and objectives.
- Manage event logistics such as email invitations and reminders, event registration, catering, room reservations, AV setup, parking, event coordination (such as Zoom and in-person hosting), and reception planning. Manage meeting and logistics coordination.
- Manage inventory and maintain stock room.
- Coordinate logistics with invited guests, speakers and faculty, and provide post-event follow-up.
- Work with SSL's staff and faculty to update brochures, websites, and other outreach materials.
- Assist with the editing, printing and electronic posting of materials
- Assist with outreach activities by maintaining contact databases and email listserves.
- Assists in maintaining business and industry contacts with individuals; and groups in the Bay Area, the U.S. and abroad.
- Partner with HR to facilitate and track SSL recruitments, reviews, scholar appointments, and merit cases.
- Provide guidance on HR processes to department staff as needed to move forward HR actionS.
- Perform advanced word processing and presentation tasks and prepares reports, memos, letters, and email communications;
- Determine need for general office equipment and supplies;
- Assist in maintaining online and hard copy filing systems;
- Participates as an SSL team member in ad-hoc committees, as necessary.
- Provides guidance to other Administrative Assistants or Student Assistants on procedures, practices, and implementation of policies, including those which are particularly complex.
- Thorough knowledge in administrative procedures and processes including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, active listening, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to learn new online systems and other technology as applicable.
- Knowledge of financial principles and experience working with budgets.
- Interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel, faculty, students, and visitors.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, and demonstrated experience establishing priorities and managing shifts in workflow.
- Skill in managing sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to host Zoom and in-person events, including recording of events, camera setup, coordination with speakers, presenters, and event moderators.
High school diploma or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn appropriate UC policy and procedures governing travel and entertainment, procurement, financial services, and facilities management.
- Proficiency with or ability to quickly learn and understand UCB online systems (e.g., BearBuy, Blu, bConnected)
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
- This is a full-time (M-F, 40 hours/week), Career position.
- This position is hybrid position, with 40% remote work eligibility.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=31714&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency