Career Advisor (Access and Equity)
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
The Career Access and Equity Advisor serves as a resource and partner in the Emerson College community to support diversity programming for career readiness, with a focus on the underrepresented students at Emerson College. This role is central to the IDEAS (Inclusive, Diverse, Equitable, Accessible, and Socially Just) work in the Emerson College Career Development Center.
The Emerson Career Development Center (ECDC) is the hub for developing, educating, and supporting students and alumni regarding their career paths and career planning.
Your Key Partners
- Career Development Center team
- Intercultural Student Affairs
- Student Accessibility Services
- Office of Student Success
- Graduate Studies
- Academic Affairs
Your Key Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Associate Director, Graduate Students and Alumni, lead the development and implementation of diversity initiatives for student engagement in conjunction with the goals of the ECDC
- Serve as a career advisor to undergraduate students for areas of career development, such as resume and cover letters, job searching, and IDEAS topics
- Serve as partner to graduate students and organizations for diversity related programs
- Serve as the liaison for faculty to provide IDEAS career education through online systems and in the classroom for arts and communication
- Serve as the main point of contact for the internal ECDC IDEAS task force
- Collaborate with campus partners and student organizations to provide career and employer information and resources
- Work with employer engagement team to develop employer resources and highlight job and internship opportunities
- Coordinate outreach and promotion with communication manager
- Conduct regular assessments of services and audit of resources
- Maintain online resources for students, and alumni
- Other duties as assigned such as campus-wide event staffing and supporting key projects
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated understanding and engagement in matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
- Career counseling skills with awareness of student identity development at predominantly white institutions
- Advising experience for resume and cover letter reviews, and internship and job search strategies
- Well versed in event planning, program development, and taking initiative
- Excellent cross-cultural relationship building skills and readiness to engage as part of a creative, and goal-oriented team
- Regularly incorporate self-awareness and identity as instrumental for work with colleagues and partners
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Two to four years experience with college-age students in an educational setting, preferably with effective DEI initiatives launched or in progress
Nice To Haves
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Self-starter, with ability to pivot as needed in a fast paced environment
- Curiosity surrounding potential processes and re-imagining career education
- Career development or employment programs
- Prior experience with DEI training or delivery of initiatives
- Typical office environment on the Boston campus
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time
Grade of Position: A15E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
In addition to a competitive salary, Emerson College is committed to the health and well-being of our employees and family members. We offer a generous benefits package to regular staff scheduled to work 20+ hours per week.
Benefits include outstanding health plans with limited out-of-pocket expenses, dental plans, generous time-off programs, and a 403(b) retirement benefit with a 9% employer contribution once eligible. Additional benefits such as life and disability coverage as well as commuter offerings are available.
Please refer to our benefits website
for a full list of benefits and eligibility requirements.
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Career-Access-and-Equity-Advisor_JR003743
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.Diversity Statement
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: [email protected]Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website
Information on Emerson College staff grade range
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency