Siena Heights University in Adrian, Michigan, is accepting applications for the position of
Assistant Controller and Director of Budgeting.
Siena Heights University is a Catholic university founded in 1919 and sponsored by the Adrian
Dominican Sisters. Enrolling a diverse community of traditional-age and working adult students,
Siena Heights is a coeducational institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission that was
founded in the liberal arts tradition, offering associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees. The
University is headquartered in Adrian, Mich., with degree completion centers in Dearborn,
Southfield, Benton Harbor, Monroe, Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Jackson and Online.
Summary and Purpose:
In direct support of the Office of Business Affairs, the Assistant Controller and Director of
Budgeting is responsible for the successful operations of the general accounting, financial
reporting, sponsored programs, monitoring and accounting for other restricted fund activities,
financial projects and assisting with external audit engagement functions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide primary support in the preparation of the annual operating budget and associated budgets.
- Advise University personnel on budgeting matters. In consultation with the Associate Vice President for Business and Finance, establish, document and disseminate accounting procedures as necessary to ensure the accurate accumulation of accounting data both within the Finance Division and throughout the University.
- Manage monthly closing processes, including reconciliations and analysis of related accounts and divisions.
- Manage the preparation and distribution of internal financial statements and reports, maintaining the highest quality, reliability, accuracy, and timeliness. Prepares financial analyses and reports required for internal and external sources including but not limited to external auditors, financial institutions, Board committees of the University, and related agencies to assist in the identification and resolution of problems.
- Serve as a resource to departmental directors and University officials on enterprise system and upgrades including analysis, planning and strategy formulation in the on-campus and web-based environments.
- Controls the structure of the automated general ledger system and chart of accounts; provides training, authorizations for access, and account set-ups as requested. Maintains current documentation of used procedures related to this system and subsidiary financial modules.
- Oversees the development, implementation, modification, and maintenance of computerized financial applications.
- In consultation with the Associate Vice President for Business and Finance, establish internal controls as necessary to ensure the safeguarding of assets and recording of liabilities within and throughout the University.
- Reconciles revenue and expense accounts, identifying, researching and correcting errors on a timely basis
- Researches and advises on questions regarding appropriate accounting treatment for significant and/or unusual financial transactions of the University.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in related field required. At least five years of demonstratively successful experience in accounting principles, financial analysis, and report preparation experience. Not-for-profit fund accounting experience preferred.
- Experience in finance operations and ability to multitask is essential. Must be able to handle the prioritization of multiple projects and assignments. Strong analytical skills and the proven ability to plan, develop and execute creative approaches to complex financial issues.
Please send application materials to [email protected] Review of materials will begin
immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Siena Heights University offers an excellent benefits package that includes affordable medical,
dental, and vision plans, four weeks of paid vacation each year, paid holidays, paid sick time, and
University paid life and AD&D insurance, and an employer sponsored retirement plan as well as
voluntary retirement savings plans. Additionally, the University offers Tuition Remission benefits.
Siena Heights University has a long-standing commitment to equal opportunity and a work environment
which is free of unlawful harassment or discrimination. Siena Heights University provides equal
employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran or
active-duty military status, familial status, height, weight, genetic information or any
other status protected by applicable law.