Position: Director of Housing and Residence Life | Full-Time 12-month
Department: Student Life
Reports To: Vice President of Student Life
Louisburg College is seeking a motivated and experienced individual to lead the transformation of the residential life experience. They will work within a student first vision to create an educational experience in all they do while keeping a safe environment for students at the forefront of all decisions.
Reporting to the Vice President of Student Life, the Director of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) collaboratively works to foster a safe, vibrant, and engaging residential living and learning community that meets diverse student needs, promotes student success, offers opportunities for engagement, and is grounded in the mission and values of Louisburg College.
This position is expected to reside on campus or in very close proximity and respond to/support situations as necessary (i.e. student or staff interactions, inclement weather, medical emergencies, power outages, and/or staff shortages).
- Promote the mission of the school, build a strong culture of community, and work closely and collaborative with the Vice President to execute a seamless, integrated, safe and secure 24-hour program.
- Proactively assess, analyze, and quantify risks to establish priorities, an acceptable level of tolerance, and/or risk avoidance from an institutional and program/department perspective.
- Directly responsible for all housing operations functions; act as room assignment manager, manage student records to support housing processes, plan and implement housing sign ups and roommate matching, project room rates, provide all reports associated with housing operations.
- Directly supervise the departments area coordinators and any part time personnel assigned to Housing and Residence Life. Including coaching assigned residential life staff to maximize their effectiveness along with coordinating their on-going training and professional development.
- Manage both the check in and check out processes
- Oversee a consistent conduct system that includes one on one meetings, summary judgements, a judicial review board, and appeals as deemed appropriate and necessary to each unique situation
- Coordinate the “on-call” duty rotation for hall staff and provide a secondary, consultative response to include coming on-campus to mitigate incidents and emergency responses if needed.
- Provide crises intervention and support for disciplinary issues as necessary.
- Support ongoing efforts related to learning through shared social experiences, enrichment activities, and authentic experiences which foster learning and personal growth for students.
- Envision a residential experience that includes intramurals, activities, and governance, including assisting as needed with the Student Life programmatic calendar.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with parents/guardians
- Maintain a visible presence and rapport with students, parents, staff, and other community members.
- Maintain a commitment to personal professional growth and learning through research and involvement in professional organizations.
- Serve on college committees and taskforces as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Student Life.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred)
- 3-5 years of experience in residence life, housing, conduct, or other areas of higher education
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to generate enthusiasm and confidence from others
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple staff and projects with a broad set of goals
- Comfortable working in a fluid environment and capable of adjusting in both day-to-day and larger-scale activities based on new information and situations
- Highly collaborative and comfortable working in a team that includes managers, peers, and advisors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, both one-on-one and in group settings
- Proven understanding of higher education setting
The application process and review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit an application package with the position code: DHRL-LCS22 in the subject heading to Justin Janak, Vice President of Student Life at [email protected].
The application package includes the following:
- Cover letter and resume Contact information for at least three (3) professional references
Louisburg College, related by faith to the Methodist Church, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications of all qualified individuals. It is the policy and practice of the College to provide equal opportunity to all persons. The College does not discriminate against its employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, national origin, age (as defined by the Age Discrimination in Employment Act), religion, gender, disability, veteran’s status, or sexual orientation. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, advancement, compensation, benefits, transfer, and termination.