The Security Officer is responsible for observing and reporting violations to college policies, procedures and directives related to campus security, overall safety and traffic control. The HCC Security Officer is a designated Campus Security Authority (CSA) and as such will report all Clery Act Crimes and any other criminal activity to the Campus Police. Security Officers will provide support to the Hagerstown Community Campus Police Department during normal operations and special events. Security Officers will assist with opening and closing the campus buildings, fire prevention and compliance with safety codes and regulations. The Security Officer will be responsible for enforcing parking violations by issuing warnings and citations.
This position carries out College security functions including protecting life and property, preserving the peace and order of the College community, and providing various services of response, aid, and customer service to all campus stakeholders. The Security Officer works effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community, follows best practices, makes responsible decisions in the best interest of the main campus. This position will use varying styles and approaches that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of culture in a diverse, multicultural workplace.
A. The Security Officer reports directly to and is responsible to Director of Public Safety.
B. This is a non-supervisory position. However, the Security Officer can provide direction to those members assigned to the Campus Police Student Patrol.
C. The Security Officer coordinates most closely with Campus Police and with Facilities and Maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. List major duties of the position ranging from the most to least important.
1. Provide security functions as directed during College emergencies, crises, or continuity of operations
2. Respond to emergency situation on the main campus to asses the scene and determine what life saving resources will be needed (call 911, obtain an AED or administer NARCAN). 3. Conduct investigations, collect statements, interview parties involved in an Incident, prepare related reports, and testify in criminal or civil proceedings. 4. Assist any victim of any violation of policy, law or safety procedure on the main Campus and refer all matters off-campus to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. 5. Provide customer service, directions, and information to the College community stakeholders, students, faculty staff and guests. 6. Patrol campus by vehicle and foot, ensuring safe a safe and secure environment, perform security checks on all campus buildings. 7. Maintain effective traffic control as required an enforce parking regulations on campus. 8. Prepare written incident reports, routine security related reports and other documents as required by the Campus Police. 9. Observe and Report all incidents of suspicious and/or criminal activity to Campus Police or the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. 10. Render prompt assistance, when safe to do so, in all cases of accident or illness requiring security attention and take such actions as may be necessary.
11. Know and adhere to all policies and procedures of the college and perform other duties as defined by Campus Police. Protect the confidentiality of case/investigation and personally identifiable information acquired through performance of the day.
B. Observe and Report all Criminal and/or suspicious behaviors
1. As part of the Jeanne Clery Act, Security Officers will be defined as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). 2. As a CSA, the Security Officer shall report all Clery Defined Crimes to a member
of the Hagerstown Community College Campus Police. 3. Patrol campus and report all criminal and/or suspicious activity to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office when Campus Police are not available.
C. Perform Traffic Control and Crowd Control
1. Assist with traffic control before, during and after an event on campus. 2. Enforce parking regulations on campus by issuing warning/citations and testifying in court, if necessary. 3. Assist with crowd control and fire safety during normal operations and during events held on campus.
D. Ensure buildings on campus are secure
1. Security Officers will ensure the buildings are safe during normal operations by conducting routine patrols. Security officers will report all hazards (spills, leaks and such) to maintenance/custodial staff. 2. Security Officers will assist college staff with securing and opening the buildings on campus when necessary. 3. Security Officers will assist Campus Police with safety drills and/or emergencies that require the campus to be secured or locked down.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• High School Diploma or GED
• 1 year of experience related to security, fire service, EMT, first responder, or law enforcement
• Valid driver’s license and ability to safely operate a motor vehicle
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and work in seasonal weather conditions
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk long distances, and traverse stairs
• Associate’s Degree
• Proficiency in a second language (preferably Spanish and/or American Sign Language)
• Knowledge of public security policies and regulations
• Experience with access control systems
• Experience with first responder procedures, investigative practices, incident command and/or crisis responses procedures, incident/accident or criminal interviews/ interrogations, parking enforcement, and public relations
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must have the ability to interpret college security and safety regulations; ability to act quickly in emergencies; ability to communicate well both orally and in writing; ability to deal tactfully with students, staff and the general public
The Security Officer will be required to work various shifts to include day work and evening work. This position will also include working weekends and special events. Traffic details will include working outside in inclement weather for various periods of time. Security Officers will be responsible for assisting with traffic control and being able to move and set up traffic cones/barriers.