Requisition Number:38692Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:Research FacultySchedule:Full-TimeDate Posted:02-May-2022 Close All
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder (CU) has an immediate opening for a Professional Research Assistant (PRA) supporting NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO. As a scientific software engineer working with the space weather team in the NCEI Solar-Terrestrial Physics (STP) section, the successful candidate will support NCEI’s work on different NOAA/NASA spacecraft missions. The software engineer will work on wide-ranging software tasks supporting spacecraft instrument science group's efforts, including monitoring applications, developing, and validating software tools, developing data access applications, providing guidance on software issues, and improving scientific and calibration/validation codes. The software engineer will also work closely with the CIRES-NCEI software development group. The successful candidate will be an essential member of a team of scientists, analysts, data managers and software developers dedicated to diverse projects to validate, process, disseminate and do research with NOAA’s space weather data. We work on multiple satellite programs including the GOES-R mission series consisting of four spacecraft, and the SWFO-L1 mission that will orbit 1.5 million kilometers towards the Sun providing solar and solar wind measurements.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We Are
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) is an internationally recognized leader in innovative environmental science and research and is located at the University of Colorado Boulder. At CIRES, more than 800 environmental science professionals work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, solid Earth sciences, and more. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
National Centers for Environmental Information website:
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop and maintain software tools, including scripts and cronjobs supporting instrument science, data monitoring and data product work.
- Write or revise scientific and calibration/validation codes to be codes that are high-quality, reusable, modular and follow software engineering best practices.
- Implement reprocessing pipelines for historic science data.
- Document code and maintain revisions using git and GitHub.
- Assist the software development group on a project to implement a monitoring system for displaying instrument/spacecraft data.
- Work with scientists to implement code optimization schemes for data intensive algorithms (e.g., machine learning and physics-model based algorithms) and to provide advice on software development.
- Develop data visualization tools.
- Work closely with the software development team.
- Participate in our group meetings and other meetings as required.
What You Should Know
- Due to the requirement to access export-controlled data and information, only U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (green cards), or other protected individuals (i.e., persons designated as an asylee, refugee, or a temporary resident under amnesty provisions) may apply to this position.
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of Colorado Boulder, but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. Selected finalists will be required to pass a federal background check for site access.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
What We Can Offer
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package.
- The annual hiring salary range for this position is $55,000 - $90,000. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and determined based on our CIRES internal career track classification.
- Relocation funds are available for this position following CIRES and the University of Colorado’s relocation processes and procedures.
Benefits The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be StatementsBe ambitious. Be enlightened. Be Boulder.What We Require
- B.S. in Computer Science, Physical Science, Engineering, or similar technical field is required for this role. Experience in the field can substitute for education on a year-per-year basis.
- Experience developing software using software best practices and version control.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in Python and its scientific packages (e.g., NumPy, SciPy, and Matplotlib).
- Skill in Unix/Linux operating environments.
- Knowledge of API development.
- Understanding of the architecture and implementation of systems that generate, manage, or distribute large data sets.
- Ability to improve and maintain software authored by other parties, and writing clean, self-documented code that can be maintained by other team members.
- Ability to contribute to an inclusive and diverse work environment and to work effectively both independently and as part of an inclusive workforce.
- Ability to creatively problem solve, productively manage multiple tasks, and thrive in a highly interactive team environment.
- Willingness and ability to seek answers from others, and to help others with their questions.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience working with space-based or other scientific data.
- Proficiency with additional languages used for scientific processing, such as IDL or Matlab.
- Experience using git and GitHub.
- Experience creating cloud-native and/or cloud-enabled applications.
- Experience and/or knowledge of real-time analytics.
- Experience with data visualization tools.
- Familiarity with Python packaging and environment maintenance, particularly using conda or pip.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- Please don't include letters of recommendation with your initial application. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to provide contact information for 3 professional references willing to complete a Skillsurvey questionnaire on your behalf (1 of these references must be a supervisor or professor). Skillsurvey is an online automated reference check solution. This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Paul LotoaniuPosting Contact Email: [email protected]