Requisition Number:38913Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:Classified StaffSchedule:Full-TimePosting Close Date:22-May-2022Date Posted:02-May-2022 Close All
The College of Arts and Sciences encourages applications for an Accounting Technician III! This position acts works within the Financial Services Center (FSC) as the accounting specialist for multiple departments, programs, and centers within A&S. Responsibilities include assisting with general departmental financial management, processing expense reimbursements, administrating procurement card transactions and purchase orders, as well as participating in various special projects. To excel in this role, candidates should have a background in finance or processing financial transactions.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We Are
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60 fields. Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the world’s most critical problems.
The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate education in the natural sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our students, both in and out of the classroom.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Assists with Departmental Financial Management
- Works independently and with minimal direction as the accounting specialist for multiple departments and projects within the college of A&S.
- Evaluates departmental needs and accounting practices. Identifies issues & problems, conducts research, and then crafts and implements solutions based on the individual department needs.
- Creates new and revises current processes, forms, and reports to be used throughout the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Interacts with faculty, students and staff to investigate problems, find resolutions, and advise individuals on how to avoid such problems in the future.
- Represents assigned departments and projects with the A&S Budget Office, CCO, SPA, PSC, AP, Travel, and other campus organizations.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, university, and A&S policies and procedures, and applies the principles of internal controls including authorization, maintenance of documents, and segregation of duties.
- Enters journal entries, cash transfers, as needed to correct errors.
- Assists managers with special projects pertaining to assigned departmental finances.
- Trains and mentors new FSC staff.
Processes Expense Reimbursements and Vendor Payments via the PSC
- Facilitates the expense reimbursement processes for assigned FSC departments, and explains the reimbursement process for business-related expenses to employees and vendors.
- Instructs travelers on proper protocol for university-related business travel, and responds to requests from departments to reimburse individuals for travel and general expenses, and to pay vendor invoices.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, university and college travel and business expense policies including the State Travel Guidelines, Propriety of Expenditures, Sensitive Expenditures, Official Functions, and project specific rules, including gathering itemized receipts & other documentation as required by policy.
- Reimburses travelers for appropriate expenses, and determines whether or not to advance requests for reimbursement of questionable expenses. Reallocate charges to appropriate FOPPS or processes funds owed by traveler to university for personal expenditures.
- Prepares Expense reports or Payment Authorization as appropriate, distributes charges to appropriate FOPPS, and ensures timely reimbursement of expenses. Receives & distributes all reimbursement warrants if applicable, and maintains document management as per campus and A&S policies and procedures.
Administers Procurement Card Program for Departments
- Collects receipts from cardholders, creates expense reports and reallocates charges to appropriate FOPPS.
- Helps cardholders understand how to properly use the card and follow PSC rules & regulations.
- Decides whether or not charges are appropriate per federal, state, university, college, department, or project restrictions.
- Decides whether or not to raise questionable charges to higher-level decision makers (e.g. FSC Manger, A&S Budget Office Director, Campus Controller).
- Identifies & investigates problems with lost/incomplete receipts, cardholder use violations, and vendor disputes.
- Sets up new cardholder accounts and requests changes/closures by working closely with department staff, Chair/Director and Procurement card administration.
Purchase Orders, SPO and Payment Voucher
- Receives requests from FSC departments for purchasing of goods & services.
- Evaluates requests per federal, state, university & college policies, and then decides on the most appropriate means of purchase.
- Enters Purchase Requisitions and Payment voucher in CU Marketplace as per PSC and A&S policies and procedures.
- Requests new and renewal of Standing Purchase Orders through the CU Marketplace as appropriate.
- Authorizes receiving of Purchase Orders, SPOs in CU Marketplace if required per PSC policy and A&S policies and procedures. Investigates and resolves problems related to receipt of goods and services by working with the PSC, faculty, department staff, and vendors. Ensures accuracy of charges.
- Maintains records of purchases in accordance with established policies and procedures set up by the PSC for transactions processed by FSC.
Assists and Participates in Special Projects as Requested by A&S Budget Office, Campus Community and/or FSC Managers
What You Should Know
This position has a majority remote work environment, but certain events and tasks will require the employee to be onsite at the CU Boulder campus.
All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $45,660-$46,104.
Benefits The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be StatementsBe balanced. Be proactive. Be Boulder.What We Require
- Must be a Colorado resident.
- 3 years of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position.
- Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
What You Will Need
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, with a variety of professionals, administrators, and students.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and assume responsibility for initiating and completing critical functions in the management of educational programs.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and within other collaborative work situations.
- Passion to learn and perfect new systems and skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Associate's Degree or higher.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume that includes date ranges and whether the position was full-time or part-time.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
- DD-214 for veteran applicants.
If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
- Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to [email protected] or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by May 22, 2022 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]