Requisition Number:39039Location: Boulder, CO Employment Type:University StaffSchedule:Full-TimePosting Close Date:24-May-2022Date Posted:04-May-2022 Close All
Job SummaryThe University of Colorado Boulder encourages applications for our Assistant Vice Provost and Assistant Vice Chancellor
(AVP/AVC) for Academic Technology and Student Success
! This position is a key member of the Office of Information Technology (OIT) cabinet and reports to the Senior Associate Vice Chancellor for IT/CIO.
The AVP/AVC provides vision, strategic leadership, and direction for OIT's operations and strategy as it relates to the delivery of academic technology services and technology initiatives in support of student success for the campus.
Responsibilities span four areas:
1. Academic Technology (AT) Applications, Support, and Consulting: supporting a digital ecosystem of learning, teaching, research, and administrative tools that enable faculty, graduate students, and staff to improve the learning experiences of students in residential, hybrid, and online programs; leading technology evaluations, pilots, and assessments to advance teaching and student success; providing consultation, training, and workshops to help faculty, graduate students, and staff learn how to use technology and integrate it into their teaching practice;
2. Buff Portal: supporting the continual development, maintenance, and operations of Buff Portal, CU Boulder’s online student portal, which is the one-stop shop for student administrative services, designed with student input at every step to bring together the enormous and fragmented set of campus resources available to students, provide crucial data when and how students need it, and continuously act upon student feedback to improve their experience;
3. CRM: providing strategic direction for CU Boulder's enterprise CRM services which are central to key University functions of the Undergraduate Advising and Engagement Services Platforms (using Salesforce.com for custom applications);
4. Administrative and Automated Platform for Online Programs (APOP): supervising the continual development, maintenance, and operations of APOP, an industry-leading platform developed by OIT that streamlines (through automation) the registration, payment, matriculation, enrollment and degree award processes of our campus performance based, online degree programs.
This position develops and deploys academic technology and technology in support of student success initiatives that enable OIT to achieve its vision and mission and enables the achievement of objectives and key results on the left side
of the OIT strategy pyramid (Academic continuity/fluidity & the student experience).
This position provides leadership in planning and policy related to digital learning and other instructional technology initiatives that facilitate achievement of CU Boulder’s strategic goals. This position also builds partnerships among campus academic support units to work collaboratively toward the achievement of institutional goals that can be addressed through the strategic application of technology.
The AVP/AVC has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Sr. Vice Provost of Online Education and Dean of the University Libraries, working closely with this person to be the OIT liaison and aiding in determining strategy, IT infrastructure, and IT support for CU Boulder Online.
This position directly supervises two operational leaders (the Associate Director of AT Services and the Associate Director of Web and CRM) and two product owner positions (the APOP Product Owner and the Buff Portal Product Owner). Supervision includes selecting, training, managing, empowering, developing and mentoring staff; setting and holding staff accountable to objectives and key results, and evaluating performance against these metrics; and performing day-to-day supervisory activities (leave approval, work prioritization, etc.).
This position has oversight over a unit that contains approximately 29 employees and 3 student employees.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We AreVision:
- OIT will be valued by campus as a strategic, inclusive and innovative partner in advancing learning and discovery in order to enable CU Boulder to be a premier public university.
- OIT enables campus priorities by providing high-value IT services and solutions.
- Trust, as a foundation for how we engage with one another and with campus partners, along with
- Avid curiosity in how to better support the campus and our stakeholder’s while
- Fostering empowerment and authentic engagement among ourselves and
- Celebrating inclusivity that promotes a sense of belonging while acknowledging that each person is unique and valued.
- OIT will advance learning and discovery by delivering high-value reliable IT services and solutions that:
- Provide a fluid and adaptable academic and student experience
- Enable research competitiveness and
- Deliver core infrastructure and enterprise IT services for business effectiveness.
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities, and desire to contribute to an inclusive campus environment, will help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.What Your Key Responsibilities Will BeProvide Strategic Leadership to AT Services, CRM, and the Buff Portal and APOP Products:
This position provides strategic leadership to ensure OIT can fulfill its mission and vision and achieve its organizational objectives and key results (OKRs), including ensuring the organization can continue to enable campus priorities by providing the highest value AT and Student Success-related services and solutions. This includes:
- Developing strategic and service roadmaps for all AT and Student Success-related services to ensure effective and efficient day-to-day delivery, support, and continual improvement of AT and Student Success-related services.
- Developing, refining and improving the overall OKRs for AT and Student Success-related services and determining how best to organize, lead, train, mentor and manage their teams to meet those objectives.
- Ensuring that the services are meeting the established objectives and business needs within the established budgets and providing ongoing value, and if not, determining the appropriate actions to take and leading the service team to take them,
- Working with OIT and campus partners, and analyzing metrics and customer feedback, to determine what continual improvements to make, and what work and projects to initiate and prioritize.
- Regularly consulting with external technology experts to identify emerging AT and Student Success-related services trends and opportunities and evaluating them within the context of CU Boulder and OIT’s strategic direction.
In addition to direct authority for these services, the AVC/AVP works closely with the Associate Vice Chancellor/Deputy CIO to help guide strategic decisions as they relate to the academic continuity and the faculty and student experience. The AVC/AVP also partners closely with Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research Computing in support of high-performance computing and data science in service of instruction and research. This position provides strategic leadership to:
Provide Strategic Campus Academic and Student Success Technology Leadership:
- The Associate Director of Academic Technology by setting the overarching vision for the digital ecosystem of learning, teaching, research, administrative tools, and the accompanying support required to aid faculty, students, and staff in using these tools.
- The Associate Director of Web & Enterprise CRM by setting the overarching vision for CRM services, which are central to key University functions of the Undergraduate Advising and Engagement Services Platforms (using Salesforce.com for custom applications).
- The Buff Portal Product Owner by setting the overarching vision for CU Boulder’s online student portal, which unifies the online and in-person student experience.
- The APOP Product Owner by setting the overarching vision for the continual development, maintenance, and operations of APOP, an industry-leading, platform developed by OIT that streamlines (through automation) the registration, payment, matriculation, enrollment and degree award processes of our campus performance based, online degree programs.
- This position also partners with OIT Finance, Planning and Procurement to establish an appropriate budget, based on program objectives and key results, and effectively manage to it.
Provide Strategic Leadership to CU Boulder Online Program:
- Provide strategic leadership to the campus’ overall academic and student success technology vision in partnership with academic leaders.
- Promote the effective use of technology in support of the university’s mission. Advocate on behalf of faculty and students in campus matters related to the use of technology for administrative and teaching and learning purposes.
- Be a bridge between the academic environment and the technology, maintaining excellent communications and service; understanding the nuance of the various goals of each school and college.
- Actively participate in the appropriate governance groups and councils, representing OIT. Participate in and facilitate planning activities and provide analysis on how to implement plans and the impact of plans to budget and staffing.
- Use feedback from customers and collaborators to make recommendations to OIT leadership for the strategic direction of OIT services.
- This position represents the Sr. Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and CIO with regard to IT in support of academic continuity and student success matters in their absence.
- Serve on the CU Boulder Online Executive Committee. Represent OIT and CU Boulder Online in cross-campus online initiatives.
- Direct the development and continuous improvement of APOP in alignment with CU Boulder Online’s priorities.
- Develop strategy related to the administrative and academic use of technology to significantly improve the educational experience of online students.
- Provide quality online student IT support.
What You Should Know
- This position will be hybrid with the expectation that the person hired will live within commuting distance to Boulder.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
What We Can Offer
- The annual salary range for this position is $180,000 - $208,000. Relocation assistance available.
Benefits The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be StatementsBe collaborative. Be game-changing. Be Boulder.What We Require
- A master's degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 6 years of progressively significant management and leadership experience in higher education information technology administration, which includes service management experience and supervisory experience.
- At least one year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- Experience with tools used for constituent engagement with faculty, staff and students.
What You Will Need
- Strong interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Strong collaboration skills, including the ability to gather input from a wide variety of diverse constituencies and to effectively discuss this input with collaborators, colleagues, and/or clients in order to formulate strategic direction.
- Demonstrated experience and success leading, managing, mentoring, coaching, and/or growing successful teams.
- Understanding of how to communicate value and direction of IT to campus partners.
- Ability to develop processes and systems for tracking, measuring, and evaluating outcomes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to maintain currency of emerging IT issues related to goals and priorities of the university.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Ability to work independently and with great levels of responsibility.
- Commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Strong understanding of and experience with the domains and trends in the areas of instructional technology, instructional design, learning theory, student-facing enterprise systems and student success.
- Possesses knowledge of Information Technology principles, theories, and concepts to help inform strategy in the academic technology domain.
- Demonstrated understanding of and strategic perspective on instructor and student facing support models for technology adoption and use.
- Ability to identify, understand, and respond to the needs and concerns of user groups and apply knowledge to better meet those needs.
- Experience managing complex organizations with broad impact on teaching and learning policy and practices.
- Requires knowledge of or ability to learn campus/higher education policies and procedures and ability to determine a course of action based on these guidelines.
- Familiarity with cloud-based models (e.g., PaaS, IaaS, SaaS and vendor).
- Possess technical knowledge of software development in support of innovation in various areas.
- Demonstrates ability to carry out extremely complex assignments requiring expert knowledge of key business principles and practices.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in higher education leadership, administration, or related field or the ability to earn such a degree within 2 years of beginning employment in this role.
- Leadership experience in the academic technology space.
- Experience with CRM platforms.
- Experience with vendor relationship management.
- ITIL Foundations v3 or v4 certification.
Special InstructionsTo apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by May 24, 2022 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]