Assistant Football Coach - Defensive CoordinatorPosition Number:
Full TimeSensitive Position:
NoSensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.Campus Security Authority:
YesCampus Security Authority Statement:
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.Designated Personnel:
YesDesignated Personnel Statement:
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.Statement of Economic Interest:
NoStatement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.Restricted Position:
YesRestricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. This is a restricted position.Chief Objective of Position:
Responsible for assisting in all aspects of establishing and maintaining a successful Division III football program and providing specialized expertise in their area of concentration.Work Tasks:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Assist in field and classroom instruction and coaching in football techniques and strategy of the Christopher Newport University football team; evaluate individual performance and provide leadership and instruction in areas of deficiency as required.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent teams; assist in designing game plans and strategies; analyze performance of football team and adjust strategies as needed.
- Consults with University faculty and administrators for the amelioration of academic issues and concerns for student success.
- Screen and evaluate athletic qualifications of prospective football recruits, coordinate with University Undergraduate Admissions Office to establish academic eligibility and arrange meetings between prospects and the university. Coordinates campus tours for visiting prospective players. Assists with new student orientation activities.
- Compile and assist in the analysis of game statistics for an assigned area of Christopher Newport University football team performance.
- Assist in the planning and administering of the off season physical training program; provide special training for the individual football team members as required.
- Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program to include adhering to all departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the university and NCAA.
- Represent the Christopher Newport University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity, and alumni events.
- Perform public relations and marketing activities to promote athletic program: perform community relation activities.
- Coordinate coaches clinic; supervise dress code for staff and team members.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
- Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Reviews and communicates safety issues to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with NCAA rules and regulations. Ability to learn and work with Conference rules and regulations. Skill in training or instructing student athletes; excellent interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated organizational and time management skills. Ability to analyze situations and develop solutions; travel and work non-traditional hours; manage people and projects.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred:
Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with NCAA Division III rules and regulations.Required Education:
Master’s Degree in a related field, or a Bachelor’s degree and training/experience that equates to an advanced degree, at time of start date.Experience Required:
Experience in collegiate coaching.Experience Preferred:
Proven experience in recruiting successful student athletes consistent within NCAA guidelines. Collegiate defensive secondary experience and/or as a defensive coordinator. Progressively responsible track record. Experience in fostering positive internal and external public relations. Prior experience in team management to include supervising.CNU Information:
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 387 Best Colleges: 2022 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public regional universities in the South and 6th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.Posting Number:
AP227PNumber of Vacancies:
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application.Quick Link for Internal Postings:
Review of applications will begin May 18, 2022.Applications received after May 18, 2022, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/13460EEO Statement :
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: