Wall Aquatic Center
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
- This position is available to minors only during summer.
- Lifeguards may not return during Fall or Spring semester.
- Minor lifeguards are only available to work the following hours, not to exceed 40 hours in one week or 8 hours in one day:
- 7:00 am- 7:00 pm
- After June 1 through Labor Day - 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Minor lifeguards are not permitted to handle, transport, or have direct exposure to pool chemicals in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Wall Aquatic Center (WAC) is seeking currently qualified and certified lifeguards. In the lifeguard role, interested candidates would be responsible for maintaining a safe and welcoming environment; recognizing and responding effectively to emergencies; enforcing all Wall Aquatic Center policies, rules and regulations; administering emergency first aid; and maintaining positive relations with members and fellow employees.
A successful WAC Lifeguard is friendly, highly attentive, a critical thinker, and able to be professional in a dynamic environment.
Additionally, WAC Lifeguards:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recognize and respond effectively in emergencies in accordance with facility emergency action plan.
- Enforce all WAC policies, rules, and regulations with the goal of preventing accidents and emergencies.
- Administer emergency first aid to any person injured in the pool area and promptly complete necessary paperwork.
- Inspect the facility daily and report any unsafe conditions or equipment to management.
- Maintain positive relations with Wall Aquatic Center patrons and fellow employees.
- Work all scheduled hours or secure a substitute.
- Participate in all scheduled meetings, in-services, and drills.
- Maintain current certifications in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training (including CPR-PR, AED, First Aid).
- Complete weekly swimming and treading skills.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Abide by all employee policies and procedures stated in the WAC student employee manual.
- Perform maintenance duties or other duties as required and assigned.
- The physical demands below must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An employee is frequently required to run, swim and walk; stand and sit for long periods; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear both in person from close and long distances and by phone or radio; handle feel or operate lifesaving equipment.
- The employee regularly lifts, pushes or pulls persons or equipment over 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, use of both eyes, ability to distinguish basic colors and shades; depth perception, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; observe and interpret people and situations; analyze and solve problems; perform work on multiple, concurrent tasks with constant interruptions; work under intensive pressure and deadlines; interact with the public, management and representatives of other agencies and deal with distressed or dissatisfied individuals.
- The employee will be exposed to wet and dry conditions.
- 16 years or older by start date.
- Completion of Red Cross Lifeguard certification course (May be completed on site at WAC from May 13-15, 2022. For more information on the course please call the Wall Aquatic Center at 928-523-2381)
- Must be able to complete all lifeguard prerequisites:
- 300m swim, 2 minute brick hold, and swim 20yds retrieve a brick from a minimum 6ft. depth and then swim 20yds on back.
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, but can be certified on site May 13-15, 2022
- Prior experience working at an aquatic facility.
- Able to submerge and perform rescues in 13 feet of water.
- Experience creating inclusive environments and/or working with diverse populations.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary is $16.00 per hour. Hourly salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a part-time, non-benefit eligible position.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
May 18, 2022 at 11:9 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606288&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency