Ctr Science Teaching & Learn
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
The Center for Science Teaching and Learning at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff is seeking to fill a Research Associate position for the purpose of designing and implementing grant-funded STEM education professional learning projects and programs. Duties may vary based on expertise and the nature of externally funded projects. The individual in this position is responsible for the independent solicitation, grant proposal writing, and/or contract negotiation necessary to maintain a portfolio of STEM education programs and services.
Ideally, the Research Associate position is based in Flagstaff. However, given the right applicant, a remote position will be considered if the applicant is willing to travel to Flagstaff occasionally at their own expense to conduct professional learning sessions or attend meetings or events. Additional travel to sites around the state or nation may be required. The position is full time and benefits-eligible. Detailed job description, qualifications, skills, and salary are described below. The position is dependent on external funding. Appointments are for one year and renewable annually, based on the availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
In addition to the on-line application, the following application materials are required: a letter of application detailing research and/or grant experience and interest, and knowledge of developments in STEM education. Please provide a vita and contact information for three references. This should all be saved as a PDF and attached as part of the on-line application.
Project Planning & Proposal Preparation - 20 %
- Provides leadership for seeking and obtaining CSTL grant-funded projects.
- Researches funding opportunities and works toward writing, gathering necessary supporting documents, and submitting grant applications (or completing similar applications for other sources of funding)
- Coordinates, meets with collaborators to develop partnerships in pursuit of grant applications or funded collaborative/partnership projects.
- Develops and submits applications necessary to gain grant and/or contract support to cover annual salary and/or salaries of other CSTL service professional development staff as appropriate
- Design professional learning project activities for external funding or by request to fit the needs of partners
- Design as appropriate the research components of projects
- Collaborate with evaluators on the evaluation plan for externally funded project.
Project Implementation and Management - 45%
- Coordinates activities and completes functions of externally supported programs and funded projects.
- Ensures that program objectives are accomplished in accordance with priorities and limitations of time, funds, and staff support.
- Coordinates with collaborators to recruit project participants and to develop and sustain partnerships.
- Produces deliverables according to funded projects.
- Leads or attends principal investigator meetings and externally-funded conferences as appropriate.
- Disseminates project work (as directed/stipulated by funded projects).
- Conducts research/evaluation (as directed /stipulated by funded projects).
- Prepares, monitors, and controls budgets within the timeline of funded projects.
- Serves as principal investigator, co-investigator, or project staff.
- Manages project staff and/or activities to meet the needs of program and projects.
- Leads planning or team meetings and works collaboratively with project teams as appropriate.
Professional Learning & Curriculum Development - 20%
- Designs and implements STEM professional learning for educators.
- Conducts professional learning / development services.
- Integrates data into STEM professional learning as needed.
- Serves as part of a team to develop, edit, and pilot STEM curricular materials as appropriate.
- Provides technical assistance as appropriate to internal and external collaborators and partners
Reporting & Information Dissemination - 10%
- Writes project reports as appropriate for external funders
- Leads or contributes to the dissemination of project work (as directed/stipulated by funded projects) for a variety of audiences in a variety of settings including conference workshops, professional presentations, etc. using a variety of methods including posters, presentation, and manuscript formats as appropriate.
- Uses social media and websites or other appropriate venues to share project information.
- Collects, analyzes, and disseminates project data as appropriate.
CSTL Team Membership - 5%
- Participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings and strategic planning sessions.
- Establishes personal professional goals and time allocations that complement and/or enhance the work of the CSTL.
- Contributes to the CSTL mission and to the overall quality of projects and programs within the CSTL.
- Contributes to organizational learning of the CSTL.
- Contributes to the necessary functions to meet CSTL goals (e.g. NAU committee members, website development, hiring committees, special projects, etc.).
- Stays current with and contributes to the research and knowledge base that contributes to exemplary instructional practices in science education (e.g. personal professional growth, professional development staff development readings, conferences, submitting work for publication, etc.).
- Contributes to the field of STEM education as appropriate.
- Provides limited service as time permits to university, local, state, and national groups in the area of STEM education.
- Supports organizational capacity building of the CSTL through contributing to organizational learning and improvement.
- Bachelor's degree in a field related to education, science, or science education.
- 3-5 years experience working in education in formal and/or informal settings.
- Leading professional development experience.
- Grant writing experience.
- Project management and/or implementation experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Master's degree or higher in a field related to science, science/STEM education, or education.
- 5+ years experience working in STEM education in formal and/or informal settings.
- Experience leading STEM professional development.
- Experience serving as a principal investigator on grants.
- Educational research experience.
- Experience working with learners with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and cultures.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Familiarity with current research-based education theory and practice, particularly in STEM education.
- Knowledge of effective strategies in science and STEM teaching and learning.
- Knowledge of relevant STEM education research.
- Knowledge in STEM content.
- Use of data in science teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated experience in proposal / grant development.
- Demonstrated skills in budget development and/or management.
- Demonstrated experience in program management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and leading professional development.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications, including intermediate Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency using Google Suite applications, including Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and networking skills along with a disposition for communication and cooperation.
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills.
- Possess impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to balance several tasks and attend to details in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders, collaborators, and partners.
- Ability to work with learners with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and cultures.
- Ability to work independently and be accountable in a highly-productive, collaborative team.
- Ability and self-discipline to work in a virtual environment if necessary.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range is $54,779 - $68,474. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
June 6, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606229&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency