Business Affairs: Financial Management Services (FMS), Redwood City, California, United States
Stanford University is one of a select group of American universities that have achieved eminence in both undergraduate and graduate education and in a broad range of academic disciplines. The University is internationally recognized for the quality of its teaching and research, its distinguished faculty, and its outstanding student body. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. This passion makes Stanford an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging place to work.
In a highly complex and constantly changing backdrop, the University Controller's Office is responsible for creating an environment, which promotes innovative and sound business policies, and practices that balance controls, compliance, and customer service. The organization consists of approximately 40 professionals, responsible for a broad range of financial activities, including Capital Accounting, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Fund Accounting, Investment Accounting, and Gift Securities. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere.
Our Stanford Redwood City campus is the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff whose jobs are important to supporting the university's mission. The campus brings departments together in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.JOB PURPOSE:
The Financial Analyst 2 will support the Debt team within the Capital Accounting department. As of the end of fiscal year 2021, Stanford University had gross Property, Plant & Equipment in excess of $13.7 billion and a net book value that was over $7.7 billion. The Financial Analyst will perform complex analyses including designing and performing ad hoc analysis. This position requires strong critical thinking, analytical skills, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles knowledge. It also requires the ability to establish and/or maintain strong internal controls plans previously established and helping to drive process improvements and system developments.CORE DUTIES*:
- Perform and design ad hoc analyses of large complex data sets: reconcile complex accounts. Identify and resolve complex issues which may span multiple areas.
- Conduct analysis and resolution and recognize exceptions. Participate in developing solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational perspective in decision making.
- Execute internal control programs established by management, research new regulations, and recommend and implement approved changes. May manage compliance program for area of responsibility and create complex compliance reports.
- Develop reports and presentations of complex financial data and metrics for management and third parties.
- Participate as a member of a project team; support new initiatives. Make decisions determining approach to managing and completing processes.
- Contribute to unit and organization strategy; assist in the development of change management plans and materials as needed.
- Develop and maintain desktop procedures and process documentation for area of responsibility.
- Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform system testing and analyze results.
- Participate in critical analysis of existing systems and processes and identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Provide consulting advice to client group(s); serve as a resource on matters that require specific technical, financial, or subject matter expertise; support negotiations with external partners.
- May supervise, train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
*Other duties may also be assignedTO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BRING:Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and four years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
IN ADDITION, PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial systems, internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences and client groups.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team.
- Experience working in a University environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, ERP systems, preferably Oracle, with proven ability to apply knowledge to understand new systems and processes.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines and customer service response standards.
- Proven ability to apply knowledge to analyze and interpret business policies and external regulations and translate them into compliant and efficient accounting processes.
- Ability to observe trends in data, recommending and helping to implement solutions to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and accuracy of data.
- Strong customer-oriented approach to managing work.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.WORKING CONDITIONS:
May work extended hours during peak business cycles.HOW TO APPLY:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply Online” link. Please submit an online application, resume, and cover letter.WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU:
We provide market competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our culture
and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. As one of the greatest intellectual hubs in the world, take advantage of development programs, tuition reimbursement plus $800 you receive annually towards skill-building classes, or audit a Stanford course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums. Create an avatar and participate in virtual reality adventures or join one with fellow staff on Stanford vacations!
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computing, cell phones, outdoor recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
*The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/3056263
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency