Assistant Director, Facilities & Maintenance
Facility Srv: Operations
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
Northern Arizona University is now hiring for one
(1) highly experienced and innovative leader to become Assistant Director, Facilities and Maintenance
in the Facility Services: Operations department.
The Assistant Director will be expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy in interpreting strategies and standards and in decision-making to implement new day-to-day processes and procedures that will ensure the optimal utilization of the Northern Arizona University facilities. This position will also be responsible for assessing and evaluating the physical space requirements of the organization and recommends plans to meet needs. This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President of Facility Services and represents the AVP and Director of Operations in their absence.
This position will demonstrate skilled leadership, high self-motivation, and direct supervision of subordinate staff (7 direct reports and nearly 50 employees) in the following areas/departments:
- General Maintenance;
- Electrical Shop
- Trades Project Management;
- Risk Management Claims,
- Access Services
Key Results Area:
- A safe and OSHA compliant workplace for all staff.
- Effective and efficient delivery of trades services to campus and external customers.
- Continuous attention to preventative maintenance, as documented with data.
Leadership and Supervision - 40%
- Assists Associate Vice President in the management of the O&M Trades.
- Serves as a member of the department's management team by participating in strategic planning, staffing decisions and other key areas.
- Serves as a liaison to community organizations and customers to meet departmental goals and program requirements.
- Represents the department or work unit on various committees, work groups and employee forums.
- Works to keep the respective trades in compliance with NAU policies and procedures.
- Ensures adherence to regulatory compliance as they relate to federal, state, county, city and NAU regulations
- Interprets and administers regulatory compliance codes, including but not limited to: ADOSH, ADA. OSHA, ADOA, NFPA. EPA. ADEQ, State Fire Code, applicable building codes, as well as the Arizona Administrative Code.
- Ensures that all OSHA guidelines and other applicable safety regulations in the trade shops and at respective work sites are observed and adhered to.
- Ensures that each designated trade shop has proper skills training, and/or certification/recertification program(s) as required.
- Professional interactions with outside regulatory agencies to address complaints, inspections, and other safety concerns.
- Develops and implements measures to correct and/or mitigate concerns resulting from complaints, inspections, or other safety concerns.
- Prepares and implements policies and procedures for the department.
- Monitors campus maintenance radio dispatch systems.
- Oversees the trade shops management of hand-held portable radio inventory and IPad inventory
- Monitors pending legislation that may impact NAU's safety policies and ensuring such impacts are properly and adequately incorporated, when necessary.
- Assists in recommendations and/or initiations of actions involving discipline, promotion and transfer of employees.
- Assists in the probationary and annual performance appraisal program for all assigned staff.
- Coordinates with EH&S to establish safety training and protocols for all trades and oversee the required annual training for all trade shops
Project Management - 30%
- Responsible for project management of the trade shop's chargeable work projects and maintenance work projects.
- Interaction with external agencies to successfully negotiate and execute contracts for services provided by outside service providers.
- Manages, approves and tracks in conjunction with trade supervisors of: on call, overtime, flextime and schedule adjustments.
- Administers and prioritize staff and equipment to best suit the needs of the institution.
- Coordinates and manages infrastructure emergencies.
- Maintains effective communications with Building Managers and campus constituents on a regular basis to schedule projects, solve problems and gather feedback.
Budget Management - 15
- Implements and maintains area budgets for the following departments:
- General Maintenance;
- Access Services;
- Oversees and monitors departmental purchases and ensure the inventory of materials, supplies, equipment are maintained and available as needed for work activities within the trades.
- Oversees and monitors departmental purchases and ensure the inventory of materials, supplies, and equipment are maintained and available as needed for work activities within the trades.
- Ensures adherence to Procurement procedures.
Planning and Reporting - 10%
- Provides guidance and consistency in policy and procedure decisions within work unit.
- Adjusts work schedules and priorities as needed to meet the needs of customers and fulfill Facility Services commitments in support of the NAU mission.
- Provides timely, orderly, and complete project reports as directed.
- Ensures that all facilities are being appropriately maintained on a timely and consistent basis.
- Assists with the tracking of safety related incidents or violations to ensure compliance and/or mitigation.
- Manages the organization of resources to achieve goals set for all subordinate staff and aligning such goals with the university mission statement.
- Evaluates work order requests and communicate with requestor(s).
- Communicates and coordinates with campus customers on a regular basis to gather feedback and ensure projects are on schedule.
Other duties as assigned - 5%
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in engineering or related field, AND
- 4 years of facilities maintenance and/or project management experience, AND
- 2-4 years of management or supervisory experience, OR
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Master's degree
- Background experience in MEP trade components of facilities services.
- Experience in infrastructure repair and replacement.
- Knowledge of utilities distribution theory and practice.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge and familiarity of fire codes, safety codes, ADA, and building codes.
- Excellent supervisor.
- Organizational and training skills.
- Skill in program development and execution.
- Skill in coordinating multiple trade activities and work and establishing priorities.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Awareness and commitment to NAU's EEO/Affirmative Action and Safe Working and Learning Environment goals.
- Ability to read construction blueprints.
- Working knowledge of principles and procedures of assigned work unit.
- Ability to work independently.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
- Skill in organizing resources.
- Applies intermediate planning, organizing, directing, and facilitating skills.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy recommendations, and assisting in developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Budgeting skills.
- Knowledge of all federal, state, and local codes and ordinances pertinent to facilities planning, design, construction, and maintenance.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range is $72,445 - $90,556. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
June 6, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606280&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency