Instructional Support Specialist
Johns Hopkins Engineering is seeking an Instructional Support Specialist
to join the Center for Learning Design and Technology (CLDT) team to assist in the support and delivery of online and technology-facilitated courses. This role requires knowledge of technology used in higher education (e.g., Canvas, Zoom, Kaltura), troubleshooting experience, and outstanding communication skills.
You will be working directly with instructional designers, instructional technologists, multimedia technicians, and student services teams to support faculty in the development and delivery of courses, and students in the use of educational technology. You will join an experienced instructional technology team and will serve as the main help desk coordinator.
We are looking for a person with a sense of curiosity for technology, compassion for the unique problems of faculty and students, accountability, edtech knowledge, and help desk experience. Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Assist in the piloting and testing of innovative instructional technology tools and services Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Support faculty by answering instructional technology questions (e.g., LMS, video platforms, and other available technologies)
- Troubleshoot LMS issues, assist in the creation of documentation and user guides, and test system functionality
- Answer faculty and student questions via our support center and ticketing system (Zendesk), including email, phone, and chat support
- Assist with training activities and provide logistical support (e.g., scheduling, room, technological reservations, etc.).
- Assist with course copies and quality assurance (following established standards and quality assurance checklists)
- Assist faculty and staff with classroom technology across:
- 700-level master's courses
- Undergraduate and graduate courses for the Whiting School
- Initiatives with other centers
- MOOC and at-scale courses
- Bachelor's Degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education, or related field
- One year as progressively responsible related experience such as instructional technology, help desk or technical support.
- Additional education may substitute for experience, and additional experience may substitute required education to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working with higher education faculty and staff.
- Experience with an LMS and video platform.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting technology-enabled classrooms.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- An understanding of and respect for the unique demands and characteristics of part-time students and faculty members.
- Demonstrated technology skills and ability - experience with the major learning management systems, digital audio and video production, and issue and project tracking using a task management platform.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with a knack for taking technical language and making it understandable.
- An ability to learn and adapt so that you can help teach others.
- A passion for solving tough problems and proposing helpful solutions.
- Experience and demonstrated competence with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and successfully complete tasks according to established deadlines.
- Technical proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite and Office 365.
- Experience with online synchronous course delivery.
- Knowledge of the following will be considered a plus: Zendesk Support and Guide, Canvas, Kaltura, Camtasia.
Classified Title: Course Support Specialist
Working Title: Instructional Support Specialist
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: EP Personnel
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Instructional-Support-Specialist-MD-MD/881220600/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency