255N-YN - Instruction & Classroom Support Technician 2
Curriculum Specialist-Project; College of Medicine
WSU SPOKANE CAMPUS
Classified (+) (Fixed Term)
Civil Service - OT Eligible
Summary of Duties:
The Curriculum Specialist will support the Pre-Clerkship or Clerkship Curriculum Director and faculty members who design, develop, and deliver the medical school curriculum. The Curriculum Specialist’s support includes administrative, logistical, and practical activities such as data entry, information organization, and building student schedules. The Curriculum Specialist’s support also includes problem identification and problem solving in collaboration with the Curriculum Director, other Curriculum Specialists, the Curriculum Office Manager, and the Associate Dean for Curriculum. The incumbent will serve as a central point of contact and support for faculty and administration through the process of course design and implementation based upon best practices. The Curriculum Specialist is responsible for preparing syllabi and guiding them through the committee approval process, preparing other course materials, posting syllabi and course materials for student access, and populating schedules and session details for the assigned year/courses of the curriculum in the learning management system and curriculum management system (LMS & CMS) E.Flo MD.
The incumbent will work closely with faculty, staff, other units of the College of Medicine, and clinical campus locations to ensure all aspects of the MD program curriculum are coordinated consistently across the clinical campuses and clinical locations, including curriculum scheduling, planning, and organization. This also includes coordinating and scheduling meetings and working groups.
The Curriculum Specialist will administratively assist with continuous quality improvement by making recommendations for changes based on program evaluations and other relevant information (e.g. student feedback, faculty feedback, accreditation requirements).
This is a project position and is expected to end 1 year after the effective start date. Renewal is dependent on the need for extension to complete the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
40% Strategic Curricular Support
- Support faculty in the application of best practices through course development, building, delivery, quality assurance, and preparation of materials.
- Provide assistance to the Associate Dean for Curriculum and/or Pre-Clerkship or Clerkship Curriculum Director in strategic planning and continuous improvement of the medical education (MD) program.
- Use systems thinking and process management to anticipate problems or challenges and propose solutions to address anticipated events.
- Independently problem solve issues that arise in the day-to-day operations and strategic development and implementation of curricular initiatives, seeking guidance from the Pre-Clerkship or Clerkship Curriculum Director, team members, or the Manager of the Office of Curriculum when needed.
- Work closely with members of the Office of Assessment to coordinate all aspects of the MD program implementation.
- Collaborate with other units of the College of Medicine, including but not limited to Education Technology, Assessment, Evaluation, Faculty Development, Accreditation, Compliance, Student Affairs, Biomedical Sciences, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences, and clinical faculty departments for all matters related to curriculum services.
- Collaborate with Spokane Health Sciences Campus Information Technology, Library Services, and Student Affairs for all matters related to curriculum services.
- Provide consultation for professional/faculty development needs to the Faculty Development team.
- Provide consultation for LMS & CMS (E.Flo MD) design and functionality.
40% Curricular Operations
- Coordinate instructional support activities for the assigned year/courses of the medical education program and serve as backup for other years/courses in the curriculum.
- Serve as a central point of contact between students, faculty, staff, other departments, and/or external constituents on day-to-day programmatic activities.
- Aid faculty in administrative needs relating to course design.
- Establish individual student schedules for classroom-based learning events within LMS & CMS (E.Flo MD) for assigned years and or/courses of the curriculum.
- Collect, organize, and manage session-level learning objectives in preparation for uploading into the E.Flo MD for the assigned year/courses of the curriculum. Provides backup support to all years/courses of the curriculum.
- Create, manage, and populate Education Activity Forms (EAF). Provide backup support to all years/ courses of the curriculum.
- Complete E.Flo MD mapping activities, including mapping session level (activity) objectives to course objectives and assessment methods for assigned years/courses of the curriculum. Provide backup support to all years/courses of the curriculum.
- Update and maintain course information on course pages within E.Flo MD years and or/courses of the curriculum. Provide backup support to all years/courses of the curriculum.
- Assist in curriculum scheduling, developing, planning, organization, tracking, and preparation of teaching sessions, course guides, and seminars on a systematic timeline.
- Work with faculty to ensure curriculum content is accurate and current.
- Collaborate with the Office of Assessment to support faculty.
- Provide input to the Office of Evaluation to support evaluations of teaching sessions/or seminars and courses in order to promote continuous quality improvement.
- Triage and respond to inquiries for the assigned years and or/courses of the curriculum and notifications; elevate inquiries or notifications, as needed, to the Pre-Clerkship or Clerkship Curriculum Director and/or appropriate stakeholders.
- Manage and execute the student absence process, including tracking, necessary communications with students and other stakeholders, and tasks associated with absence management.
- Collaborate with Assessment team members in the execution of alternative learning plans for students anticipating or requiring long-term absences.
- Support the Assessment Office in tracking targeted skills development as requested.
- Coordinate and attend regular course team, workgroup, and ad hoc curricular meetings including scheduling, agenda preparation, notes (discussion items and resulting task list) and distribution, room reservations, and other tasks; identify follow-up tasks and propose strategies to address; anticipate and propose future meeting agendas; triage tasks and issues to assist Pre-Clerkship or Clerkship Curriculum Director with prioritization.
- Maintain and track the development of curricular documents, including revisions and version control utilizing SharePoint, E.Flo MD, or other technological resources.
- Manage the syllabus preparation and approval process for all years/courses in the curriculum, including following timelines and shepherding through the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee (UMEC) structure. Post and notify students syllabus availability and location each term. Update syllabi templates as needed.
- Execute course guide/page update process, maintain, and post to E.Flo MD in preparation for the launch of years/courses in the curriculum annually or by term.
- Lead or assist with record maintenance, database maintenance, site visit preparation, and correspondence.
- Create and maintain Qualtrics surveys to collect, organize, and track student information for curricular operations (absences, requests for away rotations, special request rotations, etc.).
- Support the College Education Technology team when requested to establish recordings (and/or other technologies necessary) for session capture, if applicable.
- Collaborate with the Office of Education Technology and the Spokane Campus Library to ensure learning resources are available to students.
- Provide backup support to other Curriculum Specialists, with tasks associated with E.Flo MD and curriculum mapping and building courses in MyWSU (over 100 courses) for each of the clinical campuses in preparation for student registration.
- Provide backup support to other Curriculum Specialist in preparing, posting, and other tasks associated with syllabi and rotation guides in preparation for the launch of years/courses of the curriculum.
- Provide administrative support (schedule meetings, support, agenda preparation, distribution, take minutes, and manage documents on SharePoint) for the UMEC subcommittees and provide backup support to the assigned support of UMEC.
15% Quality Assurance
- Participate in the establishment, maintenance, reporting progress to appropriate stakeholders, and follow quality assurance procedures for assigned courses.
- Perform all duties within parameters established by FERPA and HIPAA. Seek guidance to ensure compliance when necessary.
- Maintain knowledge of curricular accreditation requirements as they relate to pre-clerkship or clerkship curriculum development, delivery, and monitoring. Maintain tracking documents for accreditation requirements.
- Assist with or maintain records to monitor cross campus comparability of student learning experiences and learning environments .
- Maintain annual review calendar for content review, design, and processes for assigned courses/year of the curriculum; ensure reviews occur in a timely manner to facilitate continuous quality improvement.
- Monitor and facilitiate the performance of curricular quality control checks by faculty and staff.
- Update and distribute quality control standard operating procedures.
- Review and correct/update learning objectives for faculty and use quality control procedures for any/all content before entering into the LMS & CMS (E.Flo MD).
- Perform other related duties as required.
A Bachelor’s Degree with major study in specific instructional area; or equivalent education/experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Curriculum and Instruction, Education, Biology, Social, Physical, or Health Sciences, or other closely allied field given context of work experience and/or other degree type.
- Demonstrated experience with records or data management systems such as learning management systems, electronic health record systems, human capital management systems, customer relationship management systems, or similar platforms.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment including frequent interactions with students, faculty, staff and/or the public.
- Ability to prioritize projects with competing deadlines, take initiative and handle information in a confidential manner.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel (creating/using formulas, tables, charts and graphs), Word (mail merge), Outlook (complex calendaring), One Drive, SharePoint and Adobe Acrobat Professional (creating fillable forms).
- Experience using Slack, Teams, Zoom (or other video-conferencing software).
- Demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships across a local and remote network.
- Working experience in post-secondary education and/or working experience in secondary education (in some cases).
- Experience with Instructional Design and Academic Technologies in a medical school.
In accordance with Washington State Governor's Proclamation 21.14.2, as a condition of employment, you must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation by time of hire. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their last shot in a vaccine series. Full vaccination status or an approved accommodation will be verified prior to your first day of work. Should you not be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation you will not be able to start employment with WSU. Information regarding vaccine verification and/or requesting a medical/religious accommodation is available at https://hrs.wsu.edu/covid-19/vax-verification/. Please contact HRS at email@example.com or 509-335-4521 if you have questions.
Area/College: Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
Department Name: Office of Curriculum
City, State, Zip: Spokane, WA 99202
Department Link: https://medicine.wsu.edu/
Monthly Salary: Range 44, $3,446.00
This is a Project position.
Project End Date: This is a project position expected to end 1 year after the effective start date. Renewal is dependent on the need for extension to complete the project.
Screening Begin Date: May 12, 2022; open until filled
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check.
Application Instructions: Applicants must attach 1) resume and 2) cover letter to their online application. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements. Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application.
Required Documents: Resume and Cover Letter
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or firstname.lastname@example.org.