Financial Oversight Analyst Location:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This role supports the College of Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences by demonstrating baseline working knowledge of routine financial processes, procedures, policies, and tools. This role will work to collect operational financial data to analyze with the purpose of communicating information to others within the college. This role will also help to keep the college’s operations in compliance with budgetary goals and expectations.
Data & Reporting Analysis – 80%
- Gathers and interprets basic information related to departmental expenditures to be used for recommendations.
- Writes basic reports and communications to relay account balances.
- Compiles data and prepares basic summaries to be used for plans, forecasts, and budgets.
- Grant management of federal, state, and private funded projects, prepares proposal budgets, ensures expenses comply to Uniform Guidance, processes subaward invoices, and facilitates in closeout.
- Limited personnel coordination for student hire requests.
- Completes purchases via university pcard and reconciles monthly transactions. Enters and tracks service tickets through NAU’s Service Now process including purchase requests, travel requests, and reimbursements.
- Liaison with the Employee Service team, departmental faculty, Dean staff, and outside departments within the University regarding financial insight and guidance.
Budget Support – 15%
- Understands and applies knowledge of appropriate handling of department budget information.
- Performs research to provide administration with financial data and recommendations.
- Helps create forecasts and models of various future financial scenarios.
Other - 5% Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma; AND,
- 1-2 years of accounting or finance experience; OR,
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Associate’s or Bachelor ’s degree.
- Accounting or finance experience in higher education.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Baseline workingknowledge of financial oversight and operations tools, procedures, processes, policies, and concepts, such as payroll management systems and budget analysis projects, as well as such as expense tracking, and trend analysis.
- Knowledge of financial reporting in higher education and university budgeting practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Skill in financial modeling.
- Prepares detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Demonstrates problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Communicates effectively.
- Listens actively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticpated salary range is $41,421 - $51,776. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
June 6, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.