Support StaffPay Grade:
14Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University College Of LawDepartment:
College Of Law Dean 10095517Sub Area:
APSA- Pro SupervisorySalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Administrative/Business/Professional, Professional Supervisory- APSA, Full Time (90-100%), Union, Remote-Friendly
Director of Communications & Marketing
The College of Law Communications & Marketing Director provides strategic direction for all marketing activities, including internal and external communications. Primary areas of responsibility include developing and executing marketing plans for print and digital work on behalf of Admissions, Advancement, the Dean, and other institutional stakeholders. This position also collaborates with freelancers (photographers, videographers, writers, and editors), and other vendors and printers.
Requires valid vehicle operator's license and semi-regular travel for meetings, conferences, photo shoots, and interviews. Requires on-site availability and occasional night/weekend work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and executes customized marketing strategies in support of institutional priorities.
- Builds strong relationships with faculty, administrators, students, and alumni in order to foster a collaborative environment and to co-create strategic content.
- Supplies clients with regular feedback on the performance of digital marketing assets, and provides suggestions for improvement.
- Writes/edits copy for internal and external audiences.
- Creates content and edits e-mails, letters, presentations, and scripts on behalf of the Dean and institutional stakeholders.
- Writes copy as needed for recruitment materials and alumni publications.
- Manages projects on behalf of Communications & Marketing.
- Provides leadership/supervision to professional-level Communications staff (Digital Specialist, Web Developer, Writer/Editor, and freelance Graphic Designer), in addition to student interns.
- Promotes events and programming.
- Provides creative direction (content curation, branding/messaging development, art direction, visual asset acquisition) for the Law College.
- Conducts intensive periodic branding research with a wide range of stakeholders to develop resonant Law College-specific messaging.
- Maintains and builds the Law College’s collection of photographic and multimedia resources.
- Provides leadership for the Law College’s web content, ensuring that it showcases institutional strengths in a compelling manner through copy, visuals, and multimedia.
- Directs public relations efforts for the Law College.
- Provides crisis support to Law College leadership and faculty.
- Directs media requests to faculty members.
- Serves as MSU Law’s primary liaison to MSU’s Communications and Brand Strategy unit.
- Ensures adherence to MSU’s brand standards.
- Develops and manages departmental budget.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Journalism, Telecommunications, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, or related field; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public and media relations; composing, editing and publication production; news, broadcasting, and print media; and/or marketing, advertising, and creative services; graphic design; word processing; desktop publishing; web design; presentation; spreadsheet and/or database software; public presentation or radio production; or computer programming/technology; and/or experience in a field related to are of employment; may require management and supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in developing and executing client-focused marketing strategies;
- Strong, efficient copywriter for higher-education markets;
- Advanced editorial skills;
- A track record of successfully meeting aggressive deadlines;
- Experience in managing complex, long-term projects with multiple contributors;
- Enthusiasm for strategic, audience-oriented content creation, storytelling, and editing;
- Aptitude in learning profession-specific terms of art;
- Working knowledge of Basecamp, content management systems, the Adobe Creative Suite, and digital asset management platforms;
- Demonstrated skills in building positive, collaborative relationships between internal clients and creatives; and
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter
- At least three professional references
Together-we-will StatementThe university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Bidding eligibility ends on May 10, 2022 at 11:55 P.M.
Advertised: May 4, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: May 31, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time