HTS Automation Specialist
Dean of Research, Stanford, California, United States
Stanford ChEM-H is an interdisciplinary institute focused on connecting Ch
ngineering, and M
edicine for H
uman Health. The institute was founded as a joint venture of the Schools of Medicine, Engineering, and Humanities and Sciences. The proximity of world-class biologists, chemists, engineers, and clinicians at Stanford presents a unique opportunity to study human biology at a molecular level, to translate this knowledge into groundbreaking discoveries that advance our understanding of and ability to improve human health. Stanford ChEM-H has partnered with Stanford Medicine to launch a bold new translational research initiative - Stanford's Innovative Medicines Accelerator (IMA). IMA aims to accelerate the translation of scientific discoveries at Stanford University into new therapeutics that impact human health while improving our understanding of human biology.Our VPDoR Diversity Journey:
- We create a hub of innovation through the power of diversity of disciplines and people.
- We provide equitable access and opportunity to all members of the community in order to do their best work, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- We listen to and value all colleagues who bring diverse perspectives to the advancement and development of a respectful community.
- We promote a culture of belonging, equity, and safety.
- We embed these values in excellence of education, research, and operation.
The ChEM-H/CSB High-Throughput Screening Knowledge Center is part of a suite of collaborative research facilities at Stanford ChEM-H that aim to promote translation of scientific discoveries through access to expertise, mentorship, and equipment. The HTS Knowledge Center is seeking an Automation Specialist to join our team. We screen large compound libraries to identify chemical leads for the Innovative Medicines Accelerator and for chemical biology projects. Once trained, you will provide lab automation expertise to collaboratively develop and implement small volume HTS screens. Duties will include programming the robot and robotic components, assay implementation on the automation, robot operation, and troubleshooting. A basic knowledge of chemistry and biology required. Mechanical aptitude strongly desired. Experience with computer programming and/or laboratory automation desired. Join our team working on novel molecular mechanisms and phenotypic assays. CORE DUTIES:
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:Education & Experience:
- Support scientific and research programs related to area of specialization; analyze data, monitor and oversee experimental process, and design and develop prototypes, specialized equipment, and/or systems.
- Modify, repair, and troubleshoot complex equipment and experimental systems.
- Prepare and review drawings, material lists, requisitions, job orders, engineering change requests, and other documents associated with development, fabrication, assembly, installations, and testing.
- Coordinate and work on scientific or engineering installations; plan and execute various phases of an operation, oversee schedule of equipment operations, and supervise routine maintenance.
- Acquire and maintain tools, equipment, and chemicals associated with experimental or engineering projects.
- Maintain documentation related to research studies and protocols, and perform administrative duties related to equipment and systems associated with research or engineering projects, as assigned.
- Liaise between researchers, students, technical staff, scientists, vendors, and other university staff; serve as a resource, providing training and practical guidance.
- Oversee the work of technicians and other staff associated with the group/projects, and provide guidance to technicians, operators, and others working in particular scientific or engineering function area.
Bachelor's degree in chemical or biological engineering or related scientific discipline, or three years of equivalent work experience or combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience applying scientific and engineering principles and practices to perform technical services and support.
- Experience with data analysis, experimental process, design, and development of prototypes, equipment, and/or systems related to area of specialization.
- Ability to write clear documentation, perform administrative duties, and research protocol maintenance related to research studies and/or scientific/engineering projects.
- Experience with software applications, systems, or programs relevant for the job.
- Ability to interpret and determine validity of data and check own work.
- Ability to communicate, liaise, and work with staff, students, faculty, and outside vendors.
- Ability to effectively supervise and train a diverse work staff.
* Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Frequently grasp lightly/fine manipulation, perform desk-based computer tasks, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally stand/walk, sit, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp forcefully.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), reach/work above shoulders, use a telephone, writing by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts, operate foot and/or hand controls, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh >40 pounds.
- May be exposed to high voltage electricity, radiation or electromagnetic fields, lasers, noise > 80dB TWA, Allergens/Biohazards/Chemicals /Asbestos, confined spaces, working at heights ?10 feet, temperature extremes, heavy metals, unusual work hours or routine overtime and/or inclement weather.
- May require travel.
Why Stanford is for You
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture
and unique perks
empower you with:
*The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/3054770
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency