Student Communication Coordinator
Job Location1460 University DriveWinchester, Virginia
Student Communication Coordinator
There are so many wonderful students and great things happening at Shenandoah University and we need someone to help us promote it all on a variety of platforms! The Student Communications Coordinator serves an important role in the university’s Office of Marketing and Communications (OMC) by supporting the efforts of the Division of Student Affairs through brand and image promotion, event marketing, and communication with students (and their families). The ideal candidate will enjoy participating in campus life, student activities and mentoring. Must be willing to manage social media and cover events in the evenings and on weekends.
The Student Communications Coordinator is part of the OMC team and serves all student communication needs but focuses on requests from Residence Life; Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (Mosaic Center), Career and Professional Services; Academic Enrichment Center; Center for Civic Engagement; Spiritual Life; Student Success; Office of the Dean of Students; and Wilkins Wellness Center and Counseling Center. This position will supervise multiple student employees (and be responsible for hiring them).
This is a fulltime, benefitted position located on our main campus in Winchester, VA.
Build and maintain student engagement
- Reinforce Shenandoah University’s brand, mission, goals and strategic plan
- Use current and emerging communication practices to engage with students — including (but not limited to) apps, social media, print, video, and online platforms
- Deliver consistently positive outcomes for students, including greater awareness of campus life events to encourage increased participation in events, clubs and organizations
Promote events and help plan initiatives for Division of Student Affairs
- Coordinate marketing assistance and creative projects (especially photography and graphic design)
- Share Student Affairs information with the campus community and beyond, relying on existing channels through OMC
- Manage student workers who perform communication and event-related tasks
Maintain Student Life social media and communication
- Create, proof and send “Your Student Life” weekly email
- Maintain Student Life web presence and/or assist those who are responsible for web pages
- Manage Student Life social media: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter along with moderating the SU Parents Group - Official
- Contribute to university’s TikTok account as needed
- Coordinate and manage digital signage across campus
- Train and assist students faculty and staff with the Shenandoah Connect app
Coordinate graphic design requests for the Division of Student Affairs
- Create digital and print materials: design flyers, graphics for events and social media usage
- Help to enforce the university’s graphic guidelines regarding logo usage and branding, approve & stamp all flyers to be hung on campus
- Produce or provide templates and best practices to Student Affairs staff
Coordinate photography and video needs for the Division of Student Affairs
- Attend events and capture student life at Shenandoah in photos and video to post in real time on Student Life social media
- Assist with the collaborative maintenance of the university’s Image Relay photo management system and archive
Teach and empower students to use the best practices in their communication efforts
- Supervise a group of student workers on communication and marketing projects
- Work with students and teach them effective marketing and communication skills for Student Affairs organizations and programs
- Bachelor’s degree required; coursework in marketing, communications, photography, multimedia, or graphic design preferred
- 1-2 years work experience in an office setting; 2-5 years experience preferred
- Experience working at a university (even while a student) is a plus
- Strong written and oral communications skills; attention to detail and proofreading skills needed
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks while meeting deadlines
- Must be able to work independently but also be a team player
- Must be flexible, adapt quickly to change, and capable of developing working relationships with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and visitors
- Advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva or equivalent design programs is preferred
- Knowledge of best practices for social media, including but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter
- Competence with photography and videography preferred
- Experience with WordPress or desire to learn
How to Apply:
The complete application will include a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a qualified candidate is selected.
*Social media or digital marketing portfolio would be helpful to submit for consideration with a resume and cover letter.
Shenandoah University is committed to enriching its educational experience and culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff. All candidates are strongly encouraged to include a statement in their cover letters addressing ways in which they may be able to contribute to that commitment.
Shenandoah University values the unique and diverse perspectives of individuals and communities locally and globally and seeks to foster mutual understanding in an inviting community where individuals are welcome and respected. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or on any other basis protected under applicable law.
Salary TypeNot Applicable