DIRECTOR OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMS, Office of the Provost Tracking Code22500559830502Job Description
Reporting to the Associate Provost for Computing & Data Sciences, and working closely with the faculty and administrative leadership of the Faculty of Computing & Data Sciences (CDS), the Director of Academic Programs oversees all aspects of graduate and undergraduate academic programming and planning within CDS. As a nascent unit, this position will serve a critical role developing foundational policies and establishing sustainable practices that will impact all CDS students and faculty. The position is responsible for the creation, planning, implementation, oversight, and assessment of the many academic related services in CDS. Examples include academic advising, admissions, orientation, first year retention programs, financial aid planning, academic records management, graduation certification, commencement, career services, and student programming for graduate and undergraduate students at CDS. The Director oversees all aspects of curricular planning in CDS, including degree and course creations and revisions, enrollment management, and bulletin preparation. The Director will lead and supervise a growing team of full-time academic support staff members associated with the increasing number of students and academic programs in CDS. The position requires representing CDS on several University-level committees as well.
CDS is an interdisciplinary academic unit of faculty who are solely appointed within CDS, as well as faculty with joint appointments from various schools and colleges at BU. The mission of CDS is to be a catalyst for integrative research and educational programs in computing and data sciences across the landscape of academic disciplines at BU. Founded in 2019 and housed in the new 19-story Center for Computing & Data Sciences building, CDS complements and connects traditional academic disciplines through the language of computation and data. In support of the University’s strategic goals, CDS is the foundation for promoting innovation-driven and civic-minded computing that creates real-world impact through research, curricular, and co-curricular programs.
In Fall 2021 CDS launched its first degree programs, a PhD in Computing & Data Sciences, Bachelor's degree, and undergraduate minor in Data Science. Future programs are on the horizon. We seek an experienced, creative, self-driven individual with a demonstrated passion for helping students to fill this critical position. Our Director of Academic Programs will be the driving force for building the organizational structure necessary to sustain and grow our academic programs.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Master's Degree
- 5+ years experience in directly student-facing positions such as academic advising, admissions, student affairs, or related fields of higher education.
- 3+ years managerial experience.
- We expect a strong commitment to the residential University experience and being physically present for students and community members.
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills, be able to interact with a diverse constituency including faculty, staff, and students.
- Must possess exemplary customer service skills, demonstrated ability to manage people and projects effectively, and the ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Track record of proactive engagement with or support of programs aiming to broaden participation of women and members of underrepresented minorities in STEM.
- Exceptional public speaking and presentation skills.
- Must have comfort working with uncertainty and in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment.
- Flexibility is a must.
- Positivity and teamwork is a must.
- Leadership skills to foster a sense of belonging and community engagement
- Familiarity with processes for admissions and financial aid.
- Experience with academic misconduct adjudication.
- Experience advising students facing academic difficulty who are at risk of probation and/or expulsion.
- Experience with large event planning and coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to imagine, create, and execute student-centered programs.
- Commitment to helping students find their own passion and in turn their own path through a flexible dynamic curriculum.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Boston University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement within 30 days of date of hire. You must upload your vaccine documentation or request a medical or religious exemption (instructions). For further information on the University’s response to COVID-19, please visit the Back2BU site.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job LocationBOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular