Academic Advisor I - School of Aviation Location:
MGA Eastman Campus Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Middle Georgia State University (MGA), a multi-campus, baccalaureate and graduate degree granting public institution, is the most affordable public state university in Georgia. MGA has five campuses—Macon, Cochran, Dublin, Eastman, and Warner Robins, all located in central Georgia—and global outreach through its fully-online campus. Its enrollment of 8,000 students is largely comprised of students from most of Georgia’s 159 counties. The University has six academic schools, including Georgia’s flagship aviation university, that support its mission to educate and graduate inspired, lifelong learners whose scholarship and careers enhance the region through professional leadership, innovative partnerships and community engagement.
This position performs integrated academic advisement that supports student retention and graduation for prospective and current students by guiding the students through data informed decision processes. This is a continuous and consistent process, which is built upon the basis of accurate communication and consistent personal contacts between the advisor and advisee. This position requires some evenings and weekend work.
- Assists and accurately guides students in defining and developing realistic educational career plans through academic schedule planning (mapping the curriculum) for each semester.
- Adviss students about majors, course requirements, pre-requisite, grades and graduation requirements.
- Assists students in course selection and class registration.
- Serves as resource specialist to both students and faculty in the development, coordination, and implementation of academic advising services and support.
- Assists in the development and distribution of advisement and recruitment materials.
- Coordinates student advising within the assigned academic unit.
- Coordinates and implements advising services at institutional events such as open house and orientation.
- Monitors progress toward educational goals by meeting with students to discuss the proposed academic program, current grades and other performance indicators.
- Informs and, if necessary, refers students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, or other personal problems require intervention. (Student Success Center, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Counseling).
- Uses institutional data to report on student success and retention.
- Plans and executes retention campaigns.
- Plans and executes call campaigns to build enrollment.
- Plans and coordinates educational events such as information sessions and workshops.
- Participates in on-going professional development.
- Performs related duties as assigned or deemed necessary to meet the Academic Advising goals on any campus.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support campus operation.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a post-secondary or professional advising position.
- Experience in higher education, working knowledge of DegreeWorks.
- Knowledge of admission, registration and degree program requirements.
- Knowledge of academic standards governing the student population.
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention principles.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of computer and job-related software programs
- Skill in decision-making and problem solving
- Skill in training and coordinating the work of related personnel.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
This position is non-exempt (bi-weekly paid).Pay Grade 16..Minimum Salary: $35,841
Background Check Offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.