The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
Based in the Office of the Chief Operating Officer and reporting to the Laboratory Chief Information Officer, the User Support Manager has overall responsibility for providing effective support throughout the engagement cycle to external scientists and partners coming to PPPL (whether physically or virtually) for collaborative research and development. The successful candidate will work closely with incoming users to expedite the onboarding process, enabling them to become productive as rapidly as possible while ensuring that all safety, security, and administrative requirements applicable to users are met. Responsibilities will include designing, implementing, and maintaining the required tools to provide the best experience for PPPL facility users. collaborators and visitors. The successful candidate will work closely with user facility managers, management system owners, and experiment and facility owners to document, organize, maintain, and publicize the requirements for onboarding and for accessing PPPL resources. Additional areas include administration of science and technical information, partnerships, agreements, and scientific facility user support programs. The User Support Manager will also be responsible for preparing reports associated with user access to PPPL resources. As the successful candidate will serve as the primary point of contact for incoming PPPL facility users collaborators and visitors, the User Support Manager should have a strong desire for helping others and providing excellent customer service
- Works with management system owners to gather, organize, and document requirements (including work-flows) for accessing PPPL resources (physical and virtual)
- Support overall on-boarding experience at PPPL with a focus on coordinating delivery of required training for collaborators and visitors
- Oversees and assists with user-access collaboration agreements
- Assists in ensuring that research data and publications resulting from PPPL facility users and collaborators are managed in accordance with PPPL policies
- Provides expertise and support in administering the Scientific and Technical Information (STI) Program at PPPL including submission of metadata and appropriate analyses or summaries for federal reporting; responding to data calls; reviewing reports and STI products for compliance with DOE requirements; review of copyright assignment forms and licenses; stewardship of selected data-management repositories and requirements; and ongoing communication with internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Collects, maintains, analyzes, and reports on data relative to PPPL users and collaborator populations and experiences
- Works closely with experiment and facility owners to assist in the experimental proposal submission, evaluation, and notification process
- Develops and improves procedures related to research-program support activities
- Monitors the user experience, develops key performance indicators, observes trends, and make recommendations for improvement
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of website(s) dedicated to serving the PPPL user and collaborator communities
- Coordinates outside of work experiences
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree
- Five years of experience supporting experiment/facility users including tools, processes, and procedures
- Prior experience supporting users and visitors at a DOE National Laboratory preferred
- Experience reviewing scientific publications for security, intellectual property, and/or export-control considerations and analyzing copyright agreements and policies in an open-science research environment
- Demonstrated prior experience building customer relationships and providing strong customer service
- Previous experience preparing performance reports, key performance indicators, and presentations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter and ability to work independently as well as with diverse teams
- Possess strong multitasking capabilities
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to guide high-performing teams and take direction in a results-oriented environment
- Advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications
- Basic web development skills
- Familiarity with basic database connectivity and queries
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Occasional work outside normal business hours will be required for collaboration with PPPL’s global visitors and collaborators, but job assignment can usually be accomplished within normal work hours.
- A hybrid work schedule (remote and on-site) may be authorized.
- Some periodic travel may be required.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period90 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver's License RequiredNo #LI-CL1