Job no: 513865
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Financial Aid Office
Pay Grade: 33
Date opened: 27 Apr 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
The Associate Director of Financial Aid is part of the Financial Aid Operations Team reporting to the Sr. Associate Director of Operations. The incumbent will assist the Senior Associate Director of Operations in implementing and managing technologies that support the objectives of Financial Aid Services, as well as design technical solutions that will allow the university to stay compliant with new and changing federal and state regulations. He/she will support weekly automated packaging processes and oversee quality control related to financial aid packaging. This position requires a broad knowledge of Financial Aid operating systems, the ability to interpret complex regulations, and the ability to effectively manage large projects with tight deadlines.
Examples of Duties:
- Contribute to and support weekly automated packaging processes and aid disbursement. This includes producing and monitoring weekly queries/reports to ensure accuracy of packaging, resolving issues, manual awarding, and making adjustments to student records.
- Assist Sr. Associate Director with system configuration projects and testing.
- In conjunction with senior financial aid staff, identify process improvements within the financial aid office and manage implementation of solutions. Create project plans and schedules and monitor progress to ensuretimely completion.
- Create/update reports for staff and external agencies, as requested.
- Work closely with the university central IT department to create and maintain award and message notification automation to inform students of account status.
- Manage weekly interfaces with the Bursar’s Office for scholarships, tuition and fee waivers, stipends and third party payments.
- Act as a liaison to Merit Scholarship Office and Student Housing Office.
- Work closely with the Student Housing Office to reconcile student records and manage special projects related to on campus housing.
- Stay abreast of new federal and state requirements through regulatory releases, workshops and conferences and proactively plan for implementation of new requirements.
- Represents the Financial Aid Services office on University committees, as assigned
- Monitor systems roles and permissions within the Financial Aid Office.
- Supervise a small team of Financial Aid Operations Specialists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required, and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of progressive experience in an automated financial aid office is required. The incumbent may be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
- Experience researching, interpreting, and applying federal financial aid regulations in a large, diverse financial aid preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with PeopleSoft, Campus Logic, and financial aid reporting software preferred.
- Project management experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of standard financial aid office business practices in multiple areas with demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex issues;
- Extensive knowledge of a variety of administrative software applications, including Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of the regulatory requirements governing financial aid programs;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to develop, manage and implement large projects;
- Demonstrated ability to grasp key points from complicated details;
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical support to a team of financial aid professionals;
- Ability to work independently and make sound decisions;
- Ability to work as a representative of Financial Aid within the broader context of the division of EnrollmentManagement to provide solutions to overlapping or integrated procedures;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong interpersonal, management, decision-making, and organizational skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status including booster. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons.