Project Manager/Senior Editor, Strategic Marketing and Communications, 72419 Location:
UMKC Volker Campus Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Division of Strategic Marketing and Communications
UMKC’s Division of Strategic Marketing and Communications is looking for a creative, collaborative editor/project manager to write, edit, and manage the production of publications and digital projects for UMKC academic and administrative units. The ideal candidate would feel comfortable producing communications for internal and external audiences and must be versed in print, digital and visual media. Strong writing and organizational skills, plus experience in meeting deadlines, are necessary.
The job requires someone who can:
- Develop creative ideas in multiple formats and quickly execute high-quality content using superb judgment, writing, editing and creative skills.
- Demonstrate strong people skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of team members and customers, building positive relationships.
- Juggle a variety of projects, demonstrating ability to move quickly on short-term needs while making progress on longer-term goals.
- Write, edit and proofread, keeping in mind client goals and adapting for various mediums. Range of materials will include magazines, videos, emails, websites, brochures, invitations, etc.
- Manage print and digital projects as determined by the department manager.
- Anticipate client needs and make suggestions on alternative or additional projects when appropriate to increase efficiency, respond to budget constraints or meet project goals.
- Communicate expectations, turnaround times, number of anticipated revisions and any updates to timeline or process with the client and communicate client feedback to other team members.
- Schedule and lead project meetings and review action items with clients and creative team.
- Present creative concepts to clients, respond productively to feedback and ask clarifying questions to resolve misunderstandings.
- Writing samples required. Provide website URL or attach a document with samples.
A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and at least 3 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or related area.
- Ability to prioritize among multiple projects, meet deadlines and remain adaptable in a changing environment.
- Experience in writing and editing for print and digital.
- Magazine experience.
- Proficient in AP style.
- Working knowledge of the following software in Mac format: Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign.
- Proven record of accomplishment of producing high-quality print and digital media content.
- Creative problem-solving ability.
- Ability to proactively identify communications and marketing opportunities and develop supporting creative.
- Experience working in higher education is a plus.
Full Time/Part Time
This is a full Time, benefit eligible position.
Salary starts at $47,476, commensurate with qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
Position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin on May 9th.
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC Statement on Diversity
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over 85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives. With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section of our website.
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an employee can be found on our careers page.
Benefit Eligibility Why UMKC?
We offer full benefits that start day one, generous paid time off, paid winter break, and continuing education benefits. Visit our Total Rewards
page to learn more. Compensation Calculator
This calculator is a decision-making tool for prospective employees considering a career with the University of Missouri (UM) System. Compensation is bigger than just the salary you earn. It includes how much the university subsidizes your insurance, what kinds of retirement plans are available to you, the number of paid leave days you can earn, and more. Use this calculator
to help compare your current compensation with what UM can offer. Also, explore the Total Rewards website
to learn more about the rewards package we offer to acknowledge our employees as the university's most important resource.