UAFS invites applications for two Assistant Professors in Media Communication beginning August 2022. These positions have a close date of May 27,2022.
Position Summary: The Department of English, Rhetoric and Writing, and Media Communication at the University of Arkansas Fort Smith invites applications for two Assistant Professors in Media Communication beginning August 2022: one in technical media production and one in social media/PR/strategic communication. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching classes within the Media Communication program, including general education speech and communication classes. Applicants should be able to teach a broad range of courses in their area of expertise, which may include audio/video production, digital photography and video, social media, strategic communication, visual communication, public relations, and/or media management courses. Candidates must have a commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching and scholarship. The position reports to the Department Chair of English, Rhetoric and Writing, and Media Communication.
Summary of Job Duties:
- Responsible for teaching undergraduate courses, both online and in the classroom. Course load is 24hrs per academic year, or 12hrs per semester. Assist with facility and equipment maintenance.
- Create and maintain an environment which emphasizes learning, encourages free discussion of ideas and critical thinking.
- Employ culturally responsive teaching pedagogies and approaches.
- Evaluate progress of students concerning educational matters and grade student work.
- Ability and motivation to foreground issues related to diversity into the curriculum.
- Recruitment and retention of students.
- Advise and mentor students, specifically during Fall and Spring Advising sessions.
- Maintain an active program of personal scholarly advancement, including appropriate national and regional presentations and publication.
- Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics
- Service to department, college, and University, including committees and assessments. Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance. Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Work Experience: Minimum qualifications include a PhD in Media Communication or related field, with an emphasis on media production; plus two years of college-level teaching experience. ABD considered with firm defense date.
Preferred Education and/or Work Experience: We would be particularly interested in applicants who can bring a knowledge of production from underrepresented positions, such as specialization in BIPOC perspectives. We are also interested in applications who can work within a growing Media Communication major, collaborate with colleagues across related disciplines, and with the ability to work with local media.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
- Knowledge of and skills in student focused learning and teaching styles.
- Knowledge of and skills in hybrid, blended, or online teaching.
- Ability to engage students through the use of innovative teaching practices and teach students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to build an inclusive learning environment and participate in the support of student media.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in effective pedagogical practices and strategies in teaching media production, editing, and post-production.
- Knowledge of and skills in media production, editing and post-production, and visual communication. Knowledge of and skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Premiere Pro Video, Audio for Video, and Motion Graphics) or other comparable creative software applications.
- Knowledge of and skills with using a variety of cameras (digital photography, studio camera, drones photography, rigs, harness and mounts).
- Knowledge of and skills with lighting design.
Social Media and Strategic Communication
- Demonstrated abilities in effective pedagogical practices and strategies in teaching social media, strategic communication, public relations, and/or media management.
- Knowledge of and skills in social media management and analytics, media writing across forms and genres, and new media public relations practices.
- Overlaps with Health Communication practices here a plus. Knowledge of and skills in with a range of social media applications (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat, TikTok, etc.) and Google Analytics. Knowledge of and skills in with Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Premiere Pro Video, Audio for Video, and Motion Graphics) or comparable creative software applications. Knowledge of and skills in media and/or strategic communication theory and practice.
Working Relationships: Works with a diverse team of faculty, staff, and students to create a welcoming atmosphere for students and contains the rigor necessary to prepare students for careers in Media Communication or related fields. Understands the importance of inclusion in the classroom environment. Contributes to the diversity and equity culture of the Department. Able to address issues of race, class, gender, and representation in all of the courses.