Job Number: 501996About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: Translational Research
Categories: Research, Service, & Sponsored Programs
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Vivarium Core TechnicianLocation:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
Full Time with Full BenefitsJob Category:
Non-ExemptHiring Range: Pay Basis:
HourlySubject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
1. Provides general sanitation of equipment used for the maintenance of laboratory animals to ensure cleanliness and proper maintenance according to specifications.
2. Assists in operating industrial cage washing machines and prepare machines for start up and shut down according to SOPs to ensure proper working conditions.
3. Maintains assigned work areas in compliance with local, state and federal regulations, Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) guidelines, and established standard operation procedures to ensure the efficiency, effectiveness, and quality control of the laboratory and compliance with federal, state, and university regulations and standards.
4. Follows safety procedures as outlined in standard operations procedures and request help if work deviates from routine to ensure that standard policies and practices are followed.
5. Attends as required NSU CCR training sessions, including radiation safety, laboratory safety, blood-borne pathogens, and OSHA.
6. Performs other duties as assigned or required.Marginal Job Functions:
1. Must be available for weekend and holiday rotations.
2. Works around animals for extended periods of time.Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Working knowledge of applicable policies, guidelines and regulations. Working knowledge of laws and regulations that govern the housing and management of laboratory animals.
2. Ability to maintain detailed and accurate daily record keeping.
3. Experience working with MS Office programs and other database management systems.
4. Ability to follow written and oral direction, and complete assignments in a timely manner including the ability to be thorough in performing assigned tasks.
5. Good interpersonal and organizational skills to effectively communicate with lab personnel.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
2. Lift feed bags and animal cages up to 50 lbs.
3. Performs repetitive motions with arms, wrists and hands.
4. Employees will be exposed to animal waste.
5. Position may require vaccinations with licensed vaccines and medical surveillance.
6. Regular stooping, kneeling, bending or crouching. Must be able to work from a standing position for prolonged time periods.
7. Must be able to perform repetitive motion tasks.Job Requirements: Required Certifications/Licensures: Required Education:
Associate's Degree or 60 College creditsMajor (if required): Required Experience:
Associate's Degree and two (2) years of experience in animal care in a research setting.
Bachelor's Degree and one (1) year of experience in animal care in a research setting.Preferred Qualifications:
1. Bachelors' degree in science/veterinarian field or related degree.
2. Experience in breeding/animal husbandry.
3. Experience in surgery monitoring a plus.
4. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certification.Is this a safety sensitive position?
No Background Screening Required?
No Pre-Employment Conditions:
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Apr 21, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 29, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time