Open to All ApplicantsPosition Title::
Alarm Technician (Revised Salary)Position Type::
Regular Full-timeBenefits Status::
$27.00-$33.00 per hour, DOE with excellent benefits.Department::
Facilities ManagementPosting Date::
When a sufficient number of qualified applicants have been identified.Work Schedule::
FT; Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm. Able to respond to after hours emergency calls. On-Call Rotation may be required.General Description::
The Alarm Technician is responsible for the maintenance and operation of all fire and security alarm systems, emergency lighting, exit signs, fire suppression systems and low voltage emergency systems in all campus buildings and outside areas. This position reports to the Maintenance Lead/Plumber.Essential Functions and Responsibilities::
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities::
- Monitor and maintain in good working order all fire suppression systems, fire alarms, emergency lighting/exit signs in all buildings on campus; inspecting and troubleshooting all equipment on a routine basis.
- Clean, inspect, and repair all fire alarm head and detection systems annually and as necessary.
- Oversee/supervise emergency evacuation drills.
- Troubleshoot low voltage emergency systems.
- Repair and maintain burglar alarm systems.
- Monitor work of fire systems and fire suppression systems by contractors or outside agencies.
- Schedule all compliance inspections for fire alarm and suppression systems.
- Assist the Maintenance Electrician as needed.
- Maintain batteries in stand-alone smoke heads, back-up batteries to all Fire and Security systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work with coworkers and customers across campus.
- Ability to keep accurate records and have adequate computer skills.
- Ability to make decisions and work independently without close supervision.
- Well organized; ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to work closely with Campus Safety, Access control, I&TS, Local Fire Marshal and Central Pierce Fire & Rescue, and Risk Management.
- Knowledge of computer systems operation technology.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Technical school training in fire suppression and alarm systems OR 2 years of related work experience.
- Valid driver’s license (Must have had a valid driver’s license for at least 2 years).
- Finalist applicants must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background checks and pass PLU’s Driver’s Certification Training.
- NICET Fire Alarm Inspection and Testing – Level 2.
- NICET Fire Alarm Inspection and Testing Water-Base System – Level 1.
- Limited Energy System (EL06).
- Work conditions vary considerably; employee may often be exposed to hot, dry, and dusty conditions, or sometimes to cold, wet, and/or humid conditions.
- Work is often around very heavy equipment with large awkward tools.
- May occasionally work in high, precarious places.
- May be exposed to hazardous conditions; e.g. fire boxes, relief valves, hot pipes, gas lines, hazardous chemicals.
- May be “on-call” for emergency repairs during off-hours. Some overtime is required, and vacation approval may be limited during peak activity periods.
- Must adhere to all safety standards and work practices established by Facilities Management.
- Must be able to remain calm during stressful periods.
- Required to regularly stand/walk and occasionally climb, balance, or work in cramped areas.
- Must be able to bend and reach, stoop, and kneel while working in a variety of areas.
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds unassisted.
At PLU, diversity is intrinsic to the vitality of learning, resilience and growth. PLU is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented and minoritized groups, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. PLU offers an excellent benefits package including tuition remission for employees and their dependents, retirement plan, medical, dental, paid vacation, major holidays off, and many other great university benefits. PLU is a qualifying employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program as a 501©(3) tax-exempt organization.