ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, Alumni Programs & Events, Development and Alumni Relations Tracking Code21500080041217Job Description
We in Boston University Development & Alumni Relations (DAR) harness the power of philanthropy to make an excellent education accessible and welcoming to all, and to advance BU’s global leadership in research, scholarship, artistic creation, and professional practice. To support our work, we have built—and are continuing to build—an outstanding team of dynamic, mission-driven advancement professionals who constantly strive to create an environment where everyone belongs. Where it’s not just about a job, but a career and a community.
Now, our Alumni Relations team is looking for an Assistant Director who will will manage annual signature events for university alumni programs including Alumni Weekend, Global Days of Service, and other in person and virtual events.
Alumni Relations at Boston University
Alumni Relations at Boston University is responsible for connecting with, engaging, and helping foster lifetime connections with the 350,000+ Boston University Alumni across the globe. Alumni Relations is the first point of contact for alums looking to reconnect or engage with their alma mater through educational programs, special events, Alumni Weekend, Global Days of Service, Career and Business networking, volunteer opportunities, and Affinity Networks.
Assistant Director, Alumni Programs & Events
The Assistant Director, working with the Director of Alumni Programs and Events will develop strategies for engaging alumni and increasing their connection to each other and the University through developing and managing all aspects of both worldwide and regional signature events and programs. This person will work closely with the Director of Alumni Programs and Events and BU Marketing & Communications to develop a comprehensive and consistent marketing campaign for each program, including print, online, social media and digital collateral.
- Develop and manage programs and logistics for Alumni Weekend, a multi-day program. Responsibilities include managing signature events throughout the weekend that will showcase and highlight university initiatives and create opportunities to bring alumni back to campus and to participate virtually. Working with the Director of Alumni Programs and Events and University Marketing this position oversees and manages the strategic creation and distribution of all marketing materials for Alumni Weekend. Responsibilities include web site design and updates; proofing and editing copy for website and e-mail; design and proofing of all printed materials including postcards, brochure, , , and other materials as needed. This person will work closely with colleagues scheduling and marketing programs unique to the schools and colleges. The assistant director is also responsible for managing all of the on-campus and off-campus vendor arrangements including catering, room set-up, staffing assignments and provides oversight of any other special arrangements, and coordination.
- Manage all of the logistics for Global Days of Service a worldwide, month long program that engages thousands of alumni in community service. Responsibilities include the design and oversight of all marketing materials including the website, e-mail messages, creating and management of online registration system using iModules. Working with alumni relations staff, school, and college colleagues recruit and manage volunteer leaders. This person will also manage volunteer opportunities with non-profit organizations.
- Manage the on-line marketing including e-mail, social media and registration for additional events: Beanpot events, annual BU vs BC pre-game, family skate at Agganis Arena, Red Hot Hockey, and other in person and virtual events as assigned.
- Provide in depth analysis for all of the major events and programs. Analysis includes a breakdown of event registrants and attendees by demographic; region; school; college; class year; philanthropy; first time registrant/attendee; total number of registrants/attendees. Runs constituent reports that provide analytic data for programs and events including reporting event attendance in BBEC, building queries in BBEC to determine populations for mailings and emails, creating reports analyzing event attendance and trends.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree required; a minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience in event planning and volunteer management preferably in Alumni Relations, or the equivalent level of experience in other non-profit or for-profit environments.
- Experience in marketing using print, e-mail and social media.
- Strong ability to prioritize and adapt to changing needs, collaborate, and communicate well with both internal and external stakeholders and vendors.
- A high level of attention to detail and ability to work in fast-paced environment managing logistics for one-day or multi-day programs and events.
But that’s not all we’re looking for; we want someone who embodies our values:
- Teamwork, transparency, and mutual respect, because we value every member’s contributions and know that leadership can come from anywhere.
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and a commitment to ensuring that each of us knows we belong here.
- Integrity in how we work and how we treat one another.
- Strategic thinking and curiosity in the relentless pursuit of fresh approaches and measurable results.
- Continuous growth and improvement, both as individuals and as a team.
- Joy and shared appreciation for working hard toward goals that matter.
If this resonates with you and you want to help us in our ambitious next campaign—and maybe do some of your best work as an advancement professional— we encourage you to apply. If you are hesitant to apply because you have not previously performed every responsibility listed in the description, but you do possess transferable skills, our values, and the defined qualifications, we still want to hear from you and welcome your application as well.
To learn more about Development & Alumni Relations at Boston University, and other job opportunities, please stop by the DAR Talent website: https://www.bu.edu/dar-talent/.
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to complete the employment application process, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at 617-353-6474
Job LocationBOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular