Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is an independent, culturally diverse institution providing quality education and research in aviation, aerospace, engineering, and other related fields with residential campuses located in Daytona Beach, Florida and Prescott, Arizona. The University’s Worldwide campus provides educational opportunities online and at approximately 130 locations throughout the United States, Asia, Europe, and Central/South America.
As the largest and most comprehensive aviation and aerospace-focused university in the world, Embry-Riddle is a unique institution. Over the past 90 years, the University has evolved with industry to break new ground and produce top-level graduates who serve the ever-changing needs of aviation and aerospace and other STEM-related disciplines. Embry-Riddle offers programs in seven primary fields of study including: Applied Science; Aviation; Business; Computers and Technology; Engineering; Safety, Security, and Intelligence; and Space.
For Academic Year 2020-21, there were over 10,700 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students that attended the University’s residential campuses and approximately 32,700 students in total enrolled with the University around the world.
The Fleet Aircraft Maintenance Department at our Daytona Beach Campus is currently accepting applications for the position of Avionics Technician.
The Avionics Technician will perform authorized maintenance, preventive maintenance, avionics, rebuilding, and alterations and returns to service university aircraft in accordance with Federal Aviation Regulations, manufacturers’ requirements and the highest quality industry standards. Use the methods, techniques and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or instructions to ensure continued airworthiness of aircraft, engines, propellers, and appliances in accordance with applicable Federal Aviation Regulations. This position requires a thorough knowledge of avionics and avionics troubleshooting.
Primary duties include:
- Accomplish scheduled maintenance and quickly respond to unscheduled maintenance requirements.
- Support and assist the Shift Manager in the accomplishment of the overall maintenance effort.
- Perform unscheduled maintenance and avionics repair on all University aircraft on ERAU flight line to include weekends and holidays.
- Develop into a Repair Station Inspector designation OR an FAA Inspection Authorization (IA).
- Assist in the mentoring and development of Level 1 & 2 Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.
- Report defective shop equipment or equipment requiring certification to the Shift Manager.
- Complete all necessary entries in appropriate maintenance forms, work orders, internal inspection forms, malfunction and defect reports, and aircraft logbooks.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the requirements of the FAA approved inspection program, FAA regulations pertaining to aircraft maintenance, airworthiness directives, advisory circular, manufacturers' service bulletins and engineering orders/drawings, as required.
- Properly document all parts, appliances, and materials used in maintenance of aircraft.
- Assist Shift Manager in inventory control functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required; associate or bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience as an A&P Maintenance Technician
- Current Airframe and Powerplant Certificate required with no violations
- Ability to obtain a Repair Station Inspectors (I) designation OR an FAA Inspection Authorization (IA)
Required skills, knowledge, abilities:
- Thorough working knowledge of FAR 145, 91 and 43 and familiarity with 14 CFR part 43 Appendixes E & F (Pitot /Static System and Transponders)
- Progressive Aircraft Maintenance experience in maintaining light general aviation aircraft required.
- Thorough working knowledge of common integrated Navigation systems
- Thorough working knowledge of all aircraft instrument Pitot/Static system, communication and transponder test equipment
- Thorough working knowledge of ADS-b traffic systems
- Thorough working knowledge of Garmin GDL-59 Wi-Fi equipment, Data Logger, and Wi-Fi Data Link equipment
- Thorough working knowledge of and be able to use technical drawings, schematics and Avionics troubleshooting guides as related to avionics installations.
- Basic PC Software Skills (e.g. spreadsheet, word processing & database etc.) Familiarity with Microsoft products to include; Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Supervisory and people skills desired.