Job DescriptionResponsible for college-wide student advisement and supporting activities within an assigned guided pathway. Provides guidance to students regarding programs and services of the college, and participating in outreach and selection activities of students. Serves as a liaison for students on academic probation and suspension programs, advising students in course of study and necessary pre-requisites, and assessing transcripts for prospective and current students for the purpose of course placement. Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and possibly during holidays.
This is a grant funded position. Continued employment is contingent upon grant funding.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary)
- Guides assigned caseload of students with program selection, program planning, and enrollment information and assistance. Follows up with each student in the assigned caseload to identify and resolve any barriers to success.
- Completes an individualized Guided Pathway for each student in the assigned caseload, closely monitoring and actively supporting each student's progression toward degree or certificate completion.
- Utilizes advising specific technology, frameworks, and platforms to manage caseload. Assists students with utilizing a variety of communication and delivery formats.
- Advises students as to course of study, particular course offerings, necessary testing, and prerequisites, and in selecting a major or program. Assists in understanding educational, personal and occupational strengths and limitations.
- Participates in and manages all phases of an assigned project. Plans and oversees the preparations and dissemination of project communications. Produces related project reports, as needed.
- Counsels students regarding their adaptability to a college environment. Analyzes test results and identifies areas requiring further attention.
- Reviews transcripts of students for the purpose of course placement.
- Handles requests from parents and students regarding programs, transfers, and degrees. May conduct workshops with parents regarding College or program information requirements.
- Provides support to the new student orientation program. This may include assisting with planning, development, and presentation.
- Prepares required reports for various internal and external requests.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of related experience
- Microsoft Office Professional or similar application
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) within 30 days of employment
- Student success platforms
- Student development theories
- Attention to detail while maintaining effective time and task management
- Managing and resolving conflict in a positive manner
- Using various video conference platforms
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing on a regular basis with internal and external customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service
- Interact in a positive manner with diverse populations and varying education levels of students, faculty, staff, and the public
- Work with individual students to develop multiple models of academic success
- Organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness
- Travel to other campus locations
- Work in a variety of settings to deliver services to students without a decrease in performance
Licenses, Registration, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
- Regular physical attendance required
Work Environment and Physical Demand:
- Reach and grasp objects
- Use of video display terminal
- Use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills
- Communicate information orally and in writing
- Receive and understand information through oral and written communication
- Proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Work a fluctuating work schedule
This job description is intended to be generic in nature and describe the essential functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities, and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Employment InformationPlease review the following information in order to apply for a position at Palm Beach State College:
- Carefully review the minimum qualifications advertised for the available position as only applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be considered.
- Background Check/ Drug Screen may be required based on the specific requirements of the position for which the application is being submitted. Employment is contingent upon the passing of a drug test and upon completion of a criminal background investigation.
- An important goal of the Office of Human Resources is to respond to all applicants once a selection is made. Please take notice of the position closing date advertised. Whenever positions are filled, the Office of Human Resources responds to all applicants who have submitted applications.
This position is open until filled