Job Profile Summary
Under limited supervision, this position will provide academic advisement and consultation to prospective, current, and former Career and Technical Education (CTE) students. Responsible for assessing academic levels and advising on CTE academic programs and updates; reviews and analyze applications, transfer evaluations, and transcripts for entry and exit from the college; evaluates student needs and monitor progress within the program. Additionally, the incumbent will collaborate with College staff to provide the appropriate student support services to ensure student success and completion. Performs related work as directed.
This position is funded by the Carl Perkins grant.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Typically over six years of relevant experience.
- Daily -30%: Provides academic advising to prospective, current and former CTE students utilizing a case management approach.
- Daily -10%: Resolves student issues and problems relating to curriculum, course prerequisites, and eligibility by referring to catalogs and other appropriate resource material or governance manual.
- Daily -10%: Reviews transcripts to ensure eligibility for admission to specific CTE programs including unofficial evaluation of transfer credits and applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
- Daily -5%: Monitors student files for academic progress, success, retention, and to ensure deadlines are met for completing various coursework requirements, graduation requirements and other specific CTE program requirements.
- Daily -10%: Provides holistic advisement to include in-depth intake interviews, short and long term goal development, follow-up and outreach to CTE students.
- Semester Basis - 5%: Facilitates group advising and information sessions for CTE students.
- Quarterly -5%: Develops workshop material and conducts/facilitates workshops for CTE students, BC employees, community partners and educational conferences.
- Weekly -5%: Guides students through the educational planning process, career exploration and goals clarification. Develops personalized educational plan according to student goals, need and program.
- Quarterly -5%: Develops and implements referral processes for CTE students with personal, social or academic concerns that impede their academic progress.
- Daily -10%: Responds to email/telephone inquiries from students, staff, faculty and administrators about advisement, registration, graduation, transfer information and other procedures or policies at BC.
- Daily -5%: Performs other duties as assigned including grant reporting requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth functional knowledge and expertise in area of specialization and general knowledge of related areas in the College
- Ability to perform complex administrative analysis with only general supervision
- Strong diagnostic, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent coordination and communication skills used appropriately influence the decision-making of individuals and groups at all levels in the College
- Ability to plan and manage own work flow, priorities and results accomplishment
- Requires the ability to present and disseminate data to various levels
- Requires advanced knowledge of computerized systems and operating environments i.e. Microsoft Office Products and specialized computer systems
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate with a diverse employee and student population
Diversity and InclusionJob Title
Works effectively with all individuals and contributes to a positive environment by working with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff and external constituents. Contributes to an inclusive, respectful, and empowering working environment that welcomes diverse perspectives
Respect for Others
Demonstrates respect for team members and constituents by valuing their contributions toward the goals of the work unit and the College. Maintains professionalism and contributes to a cohesive work environment
Cooperates and collaborates with individuals & groups that supports the mission and values of the College
Flexibility & Adaptability
Adapts approaches as situations in the work environment changes. Supports change based on the environmental needs, emerging technologies, and system upgrades
Effectively applies concepts, theories, methods, tools, techniques, and expertise in area of discipline (i.e. HR, Finance, Student Affairs, etc.)
Continuous Improvement & Learning
Actively develops one's own skills and explores opportunities for personal learning and continuous development within the job's functionality and in support of the goals and mission of department, division and the College
Senior Specialist, Career and Technical Education Student Success Position Number
P0005978 Job Status
Full time Temporary Department
CTE Retention Services Location
Central Campus Pay Grade
$52,900 - $62,158 - (Salary commensurate with education and experience) Work Shift
First Shift Work Schedule
Monday - Friday/Weekends/Varies Hours Per Week
40 Posting End Date
Open Until Filled Comments
To be considered for this position, a completed online employment application along with a resume and unofficial transcript(s) are required. Designated Essential Personnel
No FLSA Status
Exempt Position Classification
Professional Technical Staff (PTS) Special Instructions to Applicant:
For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire. An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process and must be attached to the online application. If unable to attach the documentation, please email document to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 954-201-7612, stating clearly the position name(s) and position number(s) the transcript is to be attached to.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline. All required documentation must be received on or before the job posting end date.
**Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the “Resume/CV/Transcript/License/Certification” section of the application**
Please refer to link with the instructions on how to submit an application with multiple documents. https://www.broward.edu/jobs/_docs/tutorial_external_applicant_broward_college.pdf.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the required background screening process.
Broward College uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 Form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Diversity and Inclusion are a priority at Broward CollegeDisclaimer
Broward College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from eligible veterans and spouses of veterans, underrepresented groups, including minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.
For inquiries regarding Title IX and the college’s non-discrimination policies, contact the Vice President for Talent and Culture at 954-201-7288, Broward College, 6400 NW 6th Way, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please contact the Talent and Culture Department at email@example.com.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted of describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Broward College reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.