: School of Social and Behavioral SciencesLocations:
: Staten Island, NYPosted:
: Apr 14, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timePosition ID:
About SUNY Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 51-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 92,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at over 30 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
Empire State College is committed to creating a multi-cultural and inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package.
SUNY Empire State College seeks a Pre-Enrollment Advisor (PEA) (State title: Academic Advisor) to work with students to plan individualized degrees in the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Pre-Enrollment Advisors work closely with students to develop an associate and/or bachelor's degree that are built around the student's academic, professional, and intellectual goals. SUNY Empire's non-traditional students often come to the college with transfer credit, and other creditable prior college-level learning. The successful candidate will mentor students through degree planning and prior learning assessment processes. A portion of the responsibilities associated with the position will include working as part of a larger Pre-Enrollment Advising team to staff the college's Advising Center. Coordination of mentoring and advising approaches within the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, in collaboration with faculty mentors and the school's dean, will also be expected.
The successful candidate will work primarily with Paraprofessional students located within the five boroughs of New York City. In addition to working one-on-one with students both face-to-face and online, the PEA will conduct outreach sessions. Travel within the five boroughs is expected.
The position requires strong alignment with SUNY Empire's mission, values, and strategic vision, as well as demonstrated success working in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Master's Degree from a regionally accredited US university or comparable non-US university
- Excellent and effective communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work within a collaborative academic environment
- Desire and skills to engage with a diverse student body
- Experience advising and/or mentoring students at the college level
- Graduate degree in counseling, higher education or one of the academic areas served by the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g., psychology, education, etc.)
- Knowledge of adult learning, learning technologies and online pedagogies
- Experience with computer databases and web-based communications platforms
- Previous college teaching experience, preferably in one of the academic disciplines offered in the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Occasional travel will be required to fulfill department, School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and other college-wide commitments
- Regular involvement in governance and committee work is expected
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- This position will be in Staten Island, NY.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.