STUDENT SERVICES SPECIALIST - CAREER SERVICES
San Diego County - Grossmont College
Transforming lives through learning isn't just the vision of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District. It happens every day with our 30,000 students who take the first step in their higher education, become trained for a new career, or learn knowledge that transforms their world perspective.
The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District honors a diverse academic community and fosters equity mindedness across our institutions. As such, the District is committed to eliminating achievement gaps among different student groups by promoting a culture of appreciation for diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice, and continuously examining our processes and practices through an equity lens.
The District provides an excellent health and welfare benefits package to its employees. We take care of our employees and have continued to offer medical, dental and vision coverage to eligible employees and their dependents at no charge for any of the plans we offer.
Become a part of this dedicated team in beautiful San Diego County!Please read the entire job posting before your application is submitted. Important instructions to applicants are at the bottom of the page. Be attentive when applying as many of our positions require multiple attachments.Please note: each page of the application will save upon clicking ‘next.' Draft applications can be accessed through the candidate home page.Job Summary
Application Deadline: Monday, June 13, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
NOTE: Application materials that are submitted on the last day of application and are timed out will not be accepted.
Department: Career Services
Months worked out of the Year: 12 months
Work hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Shift Differential: None
Starting Salary Range:
Range: CL-28: $3,414 (Step A) or $3,610 (Step B)
Based on education and experience
Anticipated Start Date: August 2022Job DescriptionSUMMARY:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of specialized duties in an assigned area of student services such as Athletics, Counseling, DSPS, EOPS, Student Activities, etc.; perform specialized clerical duties and coordinate and oversee office activities of assigned function or office; train and provide work direction to others as assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Perform a variety of specialized duties to provide services to students in assigned student services area such as Counseling, Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS), Extended Opportunities Programs & Services (EOPS), Athletics, Student Placement, etc.
Organize and coordinate office activities in assigned area to assure timely and efficient office operations.
Assist in the preparation of budget as assigned; monitor expenditures; prepare requisitions as required.
Greet office visitors and answer telephones; screen and refer calls, schedule appointments and meetings or take messages as appropriate.
Answer questions and provide specialized information and assistance to students, instructors and others in assigned area of student services.
Communicate with other district departments and personnel, local high schools, community organizations and other outside organizations and agencies to exchange information and coordinate activities.
Type a variety of materials such as reports, correspondence, memoranda, forms and other materials.
Attend conferences and meetings as required. Participate in planning and developing departmental operations and procedures; coordinate and participate in special events as required.
Compile and prepare statistical and other reports and records as assigned.
Maintain various records and files related to students, supplies and specialized functions of assigned area; compile information for reports as required.
Perform a variety of clerical duties such as preparing and duplicating materials, ordering office supplies and other materials and distributing mail.
Operate standard office equipment (e.g. calculators, personal computer, copiers, scantrons, etc.)SECONDARY FUNCTIONS:
Train and provide work direction to student assistants and hourly personnel as assigned; assign and review work; may participate in screening processes of hiring procedures.
Maintain departmental area(s) in a safe, clean and orderly condition; assure compliance with established safety procedures and regulations.
Maintain currency of qualifications for area of assignment.
Perform related duties as assigned.KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Modern office equipment, practices, and procedures including telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Computer word processing, spreadsheets, and other software programs used in assigned area.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Learn the specialized functions, operations and activities of an assigned area of student services.
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures related to a specialized area of student services.
- Organize and coordinate office activities.
- Train and provide work direction; assign and review the work of others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Perform clerical duties such as preparing and maintaining a variety of correspondence, records and reports; filing, duplicating, etc.
- Operate a personal computer including various software packages to enter and retrieve data using keyboarding skills in an efficient and effective manner consistent with requirements of the position.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Plan and organize work; work independently to meet schedules and timelines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Graduation from high school or equivalent supplemented by formal training in business office technology or a related area.EXPERIENCE:
Increasingly responsible clerical experience in a student services or equivalent program.WORKING CONDITIONS:
Typical office environment.Additional InformationSPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Applicants may find it helpful to refer back to the job posting, specifically the special instructions, while applying. Consider saving the job description or opening a new browser window.*ATTENTION*
Application materials with pictures or personal information will
render your application incomplete. Please do not include any materials that were not asked for.
Having the following materials prepared and ready to attach BEFORE beginning the application may make the application experience more seamless.REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
A complete and current resume.
In a 1-2 page document, please answer the following questions:
- Please indicate your level of expertise and list examples of types of documents you have prepared using each of the following software programs: Rating Scale: 1 = Limited 3 = Average 5 = Advanced.
Other word processing software programs
Other Database programs.
- Describe your experience performing various clerical and administrative functions.
- Describe your experience planning and organizing workshops and special events. What methods do you use to ensure all schedules and deadlines are met?
- What do you feel are important customer service skills and how do you use these skills in the workplace?
- Please describe your experience working with the public in person, remotely, and on the telephone.
- Please describe any other work experiences that qualify you for this position.
- Describe your understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). How do you see yourself demonstrating DEI within your role?
*ATTENTION* Please upload .doc, .docx, or PDF files. If you are working on Google Docs or Mac files please be sure to save under .doc or PDF for file to upload correctly
Under Federal Law, employers are required to verify that all new employees are eligible for employment in the United States. Prior to appointment to a position, you must present acceptable proof of your identity and authorization to work in the United States.
GCCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX employer.
Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and who require accommodations for completing the application process or interviewing should notify the Human Resources Department by calling (619) 644-7679.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful fingerprint clearance. A processing fee plus Live Scan fee will be required.
To apply, visit https://gcccd.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gcccdcareers/job/San-Diego-County---Grossmont-College/STUDENT-SERVICES-SPECIALIST---CAREER-SERVICES_R-01474.
The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District, a two-college district in eastern San Diego County, has been providing a high-quality education to the region since Grossmont College opened its doors in 1961 and Cuyamaca College began operating in 1978. The district is tied closely to the suburban and rural communities that it serves, providing a $1 billion economic impact to the region through its payroll, purchasing, and spending by students and alumni.
The district has a strong commitment to diversity and equity with a student population representing a broad variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, socioeconomic levels, cultures and abilities. The district strives to provide an educational environment that fosters cultural awareness, mutual understanding, and respect that ultimately also benefits the global community.
The colleges offer more than 150 degrees and certificates in a wide range of programs. Both colleges have signature programs that have become well-renowned. Grossmont College is recognized for its top-notch Administration of Justice, Culinary Arts, Nursing and Allied Health and Theatre Arts programs, while Cuyamaca is known for its Automotive Technology, Ornamental Horticulture, Environmental Health and Safety and Water/Wastewater Technology programs.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency