Carpenter/Paint Shop Supervisor Location:
Santa Cruz Job ID:
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-16-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Physical Planning, Development & Operations (PPDO) manages and oversees all University activities and services related to real estate, physical and environmental planning, design and construction, engineering, physical plant maintenance and operations, and the associated business services necessary to support these functions. The University’s main campus is spread across more than 2,000 acres and includes over 500 buildings comprising more than 8 million square feet. The department includes an operating budgets of over $48 million, manages a capital project portfolio in excess of $350 million, and employs nearly 300 full time staff to carry forth the duties necessary for the campus’ development and operation.
More information can be found here: https://ppc.ucsc.edu/ppdo/index.html
Under the direction of the Superintendent for Structural Trades, supervise the maintenance, and repair of campus buildings, and equipment. Coordinates and directs the work of the Physical Plant Carpenter Shop and Paint
shop crews in their daily operation according to established policies and management guidance. Directly supervises 3 Physical Plant Mechanic Carpenters, 1 Physical Plant Mechanic Carpenter Specialist, 3 Physical Plant Mechanic Painters and 1 Physical Plant Mechanic Lead Painter. Provide written and oral reports, prepares estimates, supervises performance, writes performance appraisals, conducts recruitments, performs planning, coordinating, inspection and scheduling of work assignments.
Receives assignments in the form of objectives with goals and the process by which to meet goals. Administers policies that directly affect subordinate staff. Recommends changes to department policies and practices. Identifies risks and responds accordingly. Provides priority setting and work flow analysis.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $112,000 - $120,000/annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 005044 SKLD CRAFTS TRADES SUPV 2
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
25% - Performs long range planning and prioritizing of building assembly maintenance, repair and replacement for campus buildings. Develops written daily work schedules and assignments for Carpenter and Paint Shop crews. Distributes work orders, evaluates crew’s workload. Inspects job sites, discuss work requests with various campus units. Makes job procedures, material selection recommendations, and orders and inspects material required for the job. Analyze and resolve work problems. Maintains various work records including written and oral reports; prepares estimates of man-hours, costs and materials required.
20% - Develop building assembly preventive maintenance programs and schedules for maintenance of campus buildings. Processes all completed preventive maintenance programs by writing work orders for deficiencies found. Analyze records and data regarding building maintenance and repair to develop and maintain deferred maintenance lists of building assembly deficiencies. Maintain the Carpenter and Paint Shop computer based work order backlog system, and a monthly work order time keeping report.
10% - Develop work standards and establish shop goals and objectives for the Carpenter/Paint Shop crews. Determines work rules, sets performance standards, inspects work performed, coaches and provides feedback for the Carpenter and Paint Shop crews. Hires new employees, provides specialized, technical, and safety training. Writes and updates job descriptions, performance evaluations, and initiates corrective action for employees. Approves timecards, sick leave, and vacations.
10% - In consultation with Physical Planning & Construction Planners, Project Managers, Physical Plant managers, and outside contractors: Develop, write and assist with building assembly component specifications for new buildings, additions to existing structures and remodel work. Work to develop commissioning check sheets for these systems that may need verification of operation during project closeout. Review engineering plans and make recommendations for maintenance and alterations.
10% - Contract work for repair or replacement; develop or request development of necessary specifications; request price and/or bids from vendors; utilize purchase orders, work order authorizations, blanket contract, brief form contracts; perform inspection services for proper completion of work; maintain customer liaison to assure satisfactory completion of the contracted work.
5% - Maintains an annual budget for Carpenter and Paint Shops. Meets with managers to discuss and analyze budget reports.
5% - Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for department or department operations.
5% - Ensures operations meet internal and external regulatory requirements, codes, including safety, on a continual basis.
5% - Communicates with campus clients concerning work, discuss client satisfaction, and obtain feedback on Carpenter and Paint crew work performance and job satisfaction.
5% - Other duties as assigned by Supervision
- Knowledge and experience equivalent to completion of journeyman carpenter and substantial years of operational experience at commercial or institutional level.
- Knowledge, training and ability to plan and organize repairs, preventive maintenance programs, coordinate work, prioritize and schedule work.
- Skills to supervise individuals, including assignment and direction of work, ensuring quality standards are met, delegation of responsibility, recruitment, training, evaluations, disciplinary actions, etc., such as that attained through experience or participation in training programs.
- Knowledge, training and ability to properly coordinate building assembly construction and documentation review for new construction and remodels; plan review specifications, bid documents, change orders and Carpenter/Paint Shop specific work requests.
- Knowledge and awareness of asbestos containing materials such as but not limited to drywall and VCT tiles and the willingness to be certified to remove and dispose of properly.
- Knowledge and experience with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Knowledge and experience in commercial or institutional building construction.
- Knowledge, training and ability to read sketches, blueprints and construction documents.
- Solid financial skills to accurately project costs of potential jobs and to consistently complete work within established budgetary and time constraints, understand and communicate budget and budgets reports.
- Skills to actively promote and maintain safety standards.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and effectively in dealing with design professionals, administrative support personnel, vendors, students, faculty, and staff.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of Calfornia.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;