Human Resources Specialist - SILICON VALLEY Location:
Silicon Valley Job ID:
This position works a hybrid remote format, requiring a telecommuting agreement and adherence to the UCSC Telecommuting/Remote Work Guidelines. The employee shall be available in a full-time capacity during assigned telecommuting work hours (specific hours to be discussed with supervisor). While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working at the regular UCSC worksite.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-10-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UCSC Silicon Valley Extension (UNEX) is an arm of UCSC that provides three distinct programs. University Extension offers advanced professional education and job training in Silicon Valley. UC Scout is the University of California's premier online college prep service provider. Smarter Balanced promotes equity, accessibility, and ensures that teachers are equipped with what they need to support students of diverse backgrounds and abilities for successful productive futures. Together Extension and Scout serve over 10,000 students a year, delivering online courses in Advanced Placement and college preparation, and instruction in 10 disciplines across the fields of Engineering and Technology, Business and Management, Applied and Natural Sciences and Education. Located in the heart of Santa Clara, this organization embodies the startup environment of Silicon Valley. With numerous instructors and skilled staff, Extension and Scout produce world-class content for over 300 classes every year. This is a hard-working, highly motivated team that is mission driven and committed to serving the public.
Uses professional HR concepts as a seasoned, experienced professional to apply organization policies and procedures to resolve the full range of HR-related issues. Works on problems that are diverse and complex in scope, where analysis of situations require a review of a variety of factors. Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day assignments with some guidance provided on new projects.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $66,300 - $93,200 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007596 (HR GENERALIST 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
Coaches and guides division managers in creating job descriptions, recruitment planning and staff hiring processes. Serves as the division administrator for recruitment systems and ensures that all University policies are followed, liaising with SHR Talent Acquisition throughout the recruitment process. Oversees onboarding process for new employees. May maintain records for equal employment opportunity and affirmative action reporting requirements.
Advises managers and supervisors in developing job descriptions, providing guidance on compensation programs and practices in collaboration with SHR Compensation. Submits Employee Action Requests (stipends, equity increases, classification reviews, job description updates, position updates, etc.) for UNEX positions.
Serves as the primary liaison to Staff Human Resources (SHR) and determines appropriate HR strategies, policies, and practices for the organization.
Works with SHR Employee Relations to handle sensitive and difficult-to-resolve work-related problems, performance management, counseling employees, and making recommendations to management such as training, changes to organizational practices and procedures.
- Counsels department managers and supervisors on employee and labor policies, procedures, and appropriate practices.
- Prioritizes work assignments, conducts HR trends analyses and develops resulting recommendations.
Advises all levels of managers, supervisors, and employees in identifying appropriate professional development opportunities for individual employees. Coordinates group training or workshops for all-staff or specific groups’ training, e.g. management training for aspiring or first time managers, team building workshops for departments or whole organization, performance management training for managers, etc. Works with campus training/learning center to schedule mandatory or highly recommended staff training. Manages events as assigned such as, but not limited to, team building events, staff appreciation get-togethers, All-hands staff meetings, leadership meetings/presentations.
Interprets, disseminates and applies UC policies, regulations and HR directives, and develops division standard practices.
Manages completion of annual performance appraisals within the department, working within Eperformance to initiate, delete, and move along appraisals as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Possesses strong analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources concepts, policies and procedures, employment practices, labor relations, salary administration, training and other areas of human resources.
- Knowledge of a human resources management system (HRMS), and / or other related business software programs and systems.
- Skilled in communicating clearly and effectively, verbally and presenting.
- Skilled in communicating clearly and effectively in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to handle very difficult or volatile situations / individuals effectively.
- Demonstrated analytical, active listening, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to multi-task and project manage.
- Knowledgeable of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and Google Docs
- Thorough knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, knowledge of functional areas and understands how work may affect other areas.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must be able to work a predetermined hybrid work format and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;