Artist in Residence Visual Arts Non-Tenure Track
Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts - Department of Visual Arts
The Department of Visual Arts, in the Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts at Jacksonville University, invites applicants for an Artist in Residence position beginning August 2022. The Department is seeking a faculty member with an investment in teaching and a strong record of research and professional practice. Candidates should demonstrate readiness to teach foundation courses in Drawing, 2D foundations, and foundations seminar of professional practice courses for our undergraduate students, as well as studio and theory courses at the graduate level. The successful applicant will demonstrate innovative scholarly work and an active record of research, exhibition, and presentation. Candidates should also have a record of successful teaching and demonstrate an ability to teach a commitment to interactive classroom learning and integrating new technologies in teaching. As an institution committed to equity and inclusion, we seek candidates who embody and express these values in all aspects of their courses and pedagogy. Service to the institution, college, and department is expected.
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and teach courses in Drawing, Foundations Seminar, and 2D Foundation for the undergraduate program with a global and contemporary approach to teaching
- Demonstration of a commitment to teaching visual art and media art majors, and non-majors at the freshman level and to first year foundations program development
- Demonstration of an understanding of traditional and contemporary methodologies of teaching art foundations
- Serve on thesis committees at undergraduate and graduate levels
- The ability to ideate and carry out creative and challenging projects
- Secondary skill in a related 2D area preferred (illustration, painting, photography)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willing to collaborate with the visual arts and media arts faculty
- Introduce constructive criticism and analysis of students work as well as a comparative component to works in the field
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Minimum Credentials & Preferred Qualifications
- MFA in Art (or related field) from an accredited university
- 2 years of full-time teaching experience in Art (or related field) preferred
- Strong record of professional achievement preferred
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Covid Vaccination Information: Faculty and StaffAll Jacksonville University employees who work at any JU facility must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
For more information regarding the JU vaccination policy, please click the link below.JU Vaccination Policy
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, portfolio, teaching philosophy outlining their pedagogical approach, list of Instructor of Record courses (sample course syllabi optional), Jacksonville University faculty application, names and contact info for three references, and unofficial transcripts via email to [email protected]
For complete information about the department and university, please visit http://www.ju.edu. Review of
Applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled. Jacksonville University is an Equal Opportunity,
Affirmative Action Employer.