Job Number: 502025About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Temporary
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Categories: Healthcare - Clinic Administration, Medical Professionals & Technicians
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Anatomy Lab Technician/Dissector-TEMPORARYLocation:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
HourlySubject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
1. Human cadaveric dissection to include regions as directed by College requirements.
2. Performs daily inspections of cadaveric specimens in the attempt to control mold, excessive drying and/or other detrimental environmental conditions.
3. Maintains lab and common areas, equipment and instruments in a clean, organized, and safe condition including daily and end of semester cleaning.
4. Performs general maintenance of gross dissection laboratory cadavers, skeletons, specimens, and equipment.
5. Observes safety precautions and wears appropriate personal protective equipment as required.
6. Follows all NSU policies and procedures for proper laboratory behavior, handling, storage, and use of cadavers.
7. Completes all mandatory training.
8. Performs other job duties as assigned or required.Marginal Job Functions: Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Knowledge of anatomy
2. Knowledge of laboratory practices and procedures, willing to review anatomy materials, be able to follow written/oral instructions and have appreciable hand eye coordination.
3. Must be willing to safely operate and utilize dissection instruments, including sharp objects such as scalpels and power tools.
4. Must have good personal communication skills and the ability to work without direct supervision.
5. Passion for higher education and representing NSU with positivity and professionalism.
6. Maintains a positive, professional relationship with course directors, anatomy teaching faculty, and lab staff.
7. Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and supervisory staff at all levels.
8. Ability to maintain confidential information.
9. Must be self-motivated, proactive, punctual and reliable.
10. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties; ability to perform acute repetitive motions during shift.
11. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies; manual dexterity with dissection instruments and power tools; must be able to use sharp scalpels, dissection instruments, and operate hand/electric saws. Must be willing to safely operate and utilize dissection instruments, sharp objects such as scalpels and power tools.
12. Open-toed shoes, exposed ankles/feet/legs, makeup, contact lenses, food and drink are forbidden.
13. Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided by NSU and must be worn; this includes eye protection, gowns, gloves, and masks whenever dissecting.
14. Additional personal protective equipment (PPE) may be worn; formaldehyde respirators face and face-shields (not provided by NSU)
15. May occasionally be required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
16. Individually able to lift 50 pounds and team-lift bodies weighing up to 300 pounds.
17. Exposed to certain chemical related substances to care and maintain used in cadavers and lab equipment, the Human Anatomy Cadaver laboratory contains formaldehyde (formalin), bleach (50/50), Carosafe, and other chemical or cleaning solutions typically found in the environment of an anatomy lab.
18. Must have good personal communication skills and the ability to work without direct supervision.Job Requirements:
Resume and cover letter required for full considerationRequired Certifications/Licensures: Required Education:
High School Diploma or EquivalentMajor (if required): Required Experience:
Completion of College level Human Anatomy course with a B or higher.Preferred Qualifications:
Previous experience working in a laboratory environment, anatomical dissection centered.Is this a safety sensitive position?
No Background Screening Required?
No Pre-Employment Conditions:
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Apr 20, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time