The John Wells Division of Writing for Screen & Television at USC’s School of Cinematic Arts is seeking an Administrative Assistant I to join its team. The John Wells Division of Writing for Screen and Television is a part of the School of Cinematic Arts. Located in the heart of Los Angeles, The School of Cinematic Arts is one of the leading media schools in the world. Founded in collaboration with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 1929, for over 90 years USC School of Cinematic Arts has been a leader in the entertainment industry. The John Wells Division of Writing for Screen & Television is a part of this legacy as a world-renowned writing program with many of its alumni creating content for television, film, web, and any other platform that require storytelling. The John Wells Division has several degree programs including a Screenwriting Minor, Comedy Minor, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Fine Arts, and a Graduate Certificate.
As a member of the team, the Administrative Assistant will play a key role in administrative support of the faculty, students, staff, and the Chair of the Writing Division. In this fast-paced environment, the division is seeking someone with exceptional organization skills, ability to communicate succinctly both written and verbally, and someone who wishes to grow with the division and its students. The Writing Division team invites candidates who self-identify as team players, self-motivated, problem solvers, and high-energy to apply for this position.
Some of these responsibilities and duties will include over the course of a year:
- Manage and maintain the operations of the front office including ordering of supplies, scheduling rooms, oversight of parking, phones, student workers, guests, etc.
- Manage a team of Student Workers and Departmental Assistants to facilitate professors including but not limited to training, scheduling, hiring, payroll, and general human resources.
- Assist and maintain the calendar for the Chair of the Writing Division and provide support as requested.
- Maintain a database of all alumni, current students, and faculty from the Writing Division and track industry successes.
- Coordinate the distribution and collection of scholarship scripts to respective committees.
- Take minutes at the various curriculum, faculty meetings, and other meetings as needed.
- Maintain a budget, track spending, process receipts of various events and courses including but not limited to USC Comedy and the Writing Division.
- Reconcile receipts and maintain records for all financial purchases for the division.
- Coordinate events for the division including but not limited to receptions, faculty meetings, curriculum meetings, etc.
- Oversee and manage the social media accounts for the John Wells Division of Writing for Screen and Television.
- Aide in the promotion of students, classes, and other public relations endeavors for the division.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including but not limited to copy editing, presentations, e-mails, etc.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several on-going projects.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing priorities and fluctuating workloads.
- Proficient with a computer, Zoom, and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook etc.)
- Ability to handle VIP guests and maintain a professional manner at all times.
- An expert problem solver who can troubleshoot solutions and/or provide potential solutions to supervisor.
- A team player who is motivated to grow with the division.
- Demonstrates leaderships and strong inter-personal skills in student management.
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Able to build and maintain professional relationships within the School of Cinematic Arts and USC; able to communicate with all levels of management.
- Familiar with social media and comfortable working/posting in that space.
Required Documents and Additional Information
- Resume and cover letter required (upload as one file) through the application portal. Please include up to 3 references.
- Currently, USC requires all students, faculty, and staff to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination and flu vaccination in order to access campus facilities. There is an exemption process available for medical and religious reasons. Your safety is our top priority.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions*; tuition benefits for staff and family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses, and free tram pick-up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
- The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
*University employer contributions may be subject to change due to financial impact of COVID-19.
Minimum Education: Associate's degree
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Preferred Education: Bachelor's degree
Preferred Experience: 3 years
Minimum Education: Associate's degreeCombined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: 2 yearsPreferred Education: Bachelor's degreePreferred Experience: 3 years