The University of Southern California (USC) is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles and a global center for arts, technology, and international business, USC is also one of the largest private employers in the City of Los Angeles. The university is committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse and inclusive work culture that respects the dignity of everyone, regardless of ability, ancestry, religion, race, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, medical condition, or veteran status to help us fulfill our mission: Developing individuals and society as a whole through the cultivation and enrichment of the human mind and spirit. As an employee of USC, you will be part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students, and staff that makes the university a place where each person’s contribution is valued.
One of USC’s pillar achievements, the USC Department of Athletics is proud to support 9 intercollegiate men’s athletic teams and 13 intercollegiate women’s teams across twelve venues. As a member of the Pac-12 conference, USC teams have won 134 team national championships, making the USC Trojans one of the most successful college athletic programs of all time. From football, baseball, and basketball to golf, diving, swimming, and tennis, to name a few areas of excellence, USC athletes compete at the highest levels.
USC Athletics is seeking an Assistant Director of IT to join its Technology Support team. The Assistant Director of Athletics IT will be tasked with Helpdesk support (Tier 1 and Tier 2 support), game day operations and supporting/assisting with AV support for our facilities.
USC Athletics’ Information Technology group is committed to empowering athletics community by providing an innovative, robust, and secure information technology infrastructure in support of education, administration, and game day operations. This position serves a diverse student and staff population, must demonstrate a commitment to improving outcomes for historically under-served populations, and is expected to contribute to the program’s diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts. USC Athletics is committed to increasing diversity in its staff and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds, ethnicities, races, genders, and sexual orientations.
This is a non-Exempt position and there are two vacancies available.
The successful candidate(s) must be able to work night, evenings and weekends as required.
Reporting to our Director of IT – UPC Campus, the Assistant Director of IT will be responsible for:
- Providing Tier1/Tier 2 technical support for all computers, software, mobile device, and audio-visual equipment.
- Assisting with deployment maintenance, upgrades and inventory of all computers, peripherals, and audio-visual equipment.
- Supporting on-site events, meetings, and game day operations.
- Creating procedures and documentation and provide technical training for staff.
- Educating staff on computer related topics (new software, new hardware, system compatibilities).
- Maintaining user accounts, permissions, and quotas.
- Providing in-person and remote technical support and consultation to staff on software, hardware, and accounts issues.
- Installing and troubleshooting software and hardware for users.
- Providing workstations and technical support and troubleshooting for network printers, multi-function devices and helpdesk support.
- Providing technology orientations to incoming staff.
- Testing new applications and programs either issued by ITS or purchased 3rd party to ensure compatibility with current systems.
- Maintaining computer equipment and related technology spaces, facilities, and venues.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, combined experience / education as substitute for minimum experience.
- Minimum of 2 years working experience in an IT field
- Knowledge of computing environments
- Experience with networks, workstations/laptops, wireless communication, security software and procedures.
- Working knowledge of associated hardware, software, operating systems, and peripherals.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to learn and continue learning new systems and willingness to take on additional responsibilities.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team as needed and follow-up towards the successful completion of assigned tasks.
- Experience with mobile devices.
- Ability to demonstrate the highest level of integrity and ethical standards
- Ability to work nights, evenings, and weekends
- 2 years of experience in a Help Desk IT environment
- Experience with hosted SaaS (example, Zoom, Office365, Slack, and Microsoft Teams)
- Experience using command line tools for Mac and Windows.
- Demonstrated experience with ticketing systems.
- Ability to create or edit scripts and programs in batch script, shell script, or power shell
- Experience in an Athletics department or higher education environment
All candidates must submit: (1) resume or curriculum vitae, (2) and cover letter addressing the candidate’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, in higher education and sport. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. All USC employees will undergo reference checking and background screening prior to hire.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: 1 year, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experienceMinimum Field of Expertise: Familiarity with one or more operating systems.