Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Diversity & Inclusion will provide strategic and programmatic leadership for diversity and inclusion initiatives at Alma College. The Director will work to support and enhance Alma’s long-standing commitment to diversity, social justice, belonging and inclusive excellence. The Director will also coordinate and deliver diversity educational programs, workshops and trainings to the students, faculty,
and staff of Alma College. This position will also oversee the execution of the King Chavez Parks program.
• Provide visionary leadership, oversight (programmatic & administrative), and budgetary management to the staff of the Diversity & Inclusion area
• In partnership with the Chief Diversity Officer, identify strategic priorities, as addressed in the Alma College Evergreen plan, that will demonstrate Alma’s clear commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Develop and implement diversity education trainings and workshopsforstudents,staff, and faculty that will raise awareness and help educate the campus community
• Provide oversight and leadership to the King-Chavez-Parks (KCP) Initiative at Alma College, which provides support servicesforstudents who are economically disadvantaged
• Provide strategic oversight to the Campbell Scholars program, the Julius Chatman Living Learning Community & teach a general education course around DEI.
• Champion the implementation and assessment of programs, activities and services that will engage Alma College students inside and outside the classroom
• Execute programs and initiatives that are designed to support minoritized students’ sense of belonging on-campus and in the local community
• Collaborate with campus partners to assist in the creation, implementation and
evaluation of programs and services that will increase recruitment, retention, matriculation, and graduation of students from minoritized backgrounds
• Represent the Student Affairs division on various campus committees and provide necessary DEI reports to Alma College Board of Trustees, as requested.
• Coordinate other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree required
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a higher education, focused on Diversity & Inclusion
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in supervising staff and working directly with students.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively communicate across the college.
• Experience planning and facilitating events and programs for diverse populations
• Experience creating and facilitating diversity focused trainings to students, faculty, & staff
• Demonstrate leadership ability in decision making, performance management and problem solving.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness and ability to effectively
interact cross culturally.
• Ability to successfully prioritize, coordinate, and facilitate multiple projects with limited supervision.
• Ability to organize and lead committees and diverse groups.
• Ability to work flexible hours included evenings and weekends and must have the ability to travel as a representative of Alma College.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, a statement of commitment to diversity, current resume, and the names of three professional references, via email to Damon Brown, Vice President for Student Affairs and Chief Diversity Officer at [email protected] The Alma College employment application can be found at https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3956-employment-application-05012020.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.