Skidmore College invites applications for a creative and dynamic Director of Human Resources to transform, lead and support the human resources function for all employees of Skidmore College. Reporting to the Vice President for Finance & Administration, the Director of Human Resources leads all Human Resources for Skidmore College, a highly selective, nationally ranked liberal arts college located in Saratoga Springs, NY.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for leading and administering human resource strategy in support of Skidmore College’s mission and strategic plan. The Director of Human Resources leads all Human Resources operations and services at Skidmore College, including the planning and implementation of effective, inclusive and equitable recruiting, culture and retention strategies, total compensation, training and career development opportunities, performance management, employee and labor relations, employee and management coaching and counseling, integrated HRIS and data/record management and employee self-service tools, change management, workforce planning and succession planning, and organizational design. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for continuously evaluating and improving HR operations and efficiencies, promoting a genuine service ethic in support of a diverse community, and managing risk by aligning Skidmore College's Human Resource functions with applicable law and best practices. The Director of Human Resources serves as a strategic consultant to campus leaders regarding key organizational and management issues. This position also engages with labor relations including negotiation of collective bargaining agreements and employee dispute resolution.
Within Skidmore’s Human Resources Department, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for leading a team of eight HR professionals that supports approximately 1100 full and part-time employees and implementing a vision for HR that aligns with and supports the College’s mission and strategic goals.
Key characteristics of the Director of Human Resources include:
- Demonstrated sucess in leading, managing and developing talent and teams
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a record of promoting it
- Extensive experience and functional knowledge in all areas of Human Resources including benefits, compensation and classification, employment and labor law, recruitment and retention strategies, organizational development, rewards and recognition, talent management and HRIS
- Demonstrated success utilizing technology to deliver on demand human resources services
- Proven ability to engage, motivate, influence and support collaboration and communication across an organization
- Ability to develop and operationalize a strategic vision for human resources
- Demonstrated success in contributing to an organization's organizational strategy and HR programming
- Solid business acumen and judgement
- Strong communication skills with the ability to quickly form trusting relations and earn the respect and confidence of employees
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as confident presentation and influencing skills
- Collaborative, consultative, decisive and genuine leadership style that fosters open communications and builds positive relationships with faculty, staff and students
- Demonstrated expertise with a record of achievements in presenting and evaluating proactive and competitive HR practices and recommending courses of action to leadership
- A commitment to innovation and creating thinking about how to create a maintain an excellent total employee experience.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree plus 10+ years' progressively responsible experience in human resources, with at least three years of leadership experience. Master's degree, prior experience in higher education and nationally recognized human resources certification preferred.
For more information about Skidmore College, please visit: www.skidmore.edu.
Required documents needed to apply:
- On-line application
- Cover Letter
- List of Three References
Pay Range: Commensurate with experience
In order to prevent or significantly reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at Skidmore College and protect all members of the College community from infection, successful candidates will be required to submit proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment, unless exempted as a reasonable accommodation of a medical condition or sincerely religious belief or practice.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.