LAKELAND UNIVERSITY, an independent liberal arts institution located in east central Wisconsin, invites applications from a diverse group of qualified candidates for a Visiting Professor of Graphic Design to begin August 23, 2022. Lakeland seeks to appoint a versatile educator with a broad range of skills in graphic design, including vector illustration, image editing, page layout, typography, brand identity, and portfolio preparation.
All Lakeland employees are expected to:
- Demonstrate in their words and actions an appreciation for the history of Lakeland University and a commitment to its stated mission.
- Represent unequivocally in their behavior the stated values of the University.
- Be good stewards of the University's resources, including its personnel and the goodwill of its friends, its alumni, and local community.
- Work collaboratively (as opposed to competitively) with their peers to meet objectives and achieve our goals.
- Keep their supervisor appropriately informed.
- Be forthright and honest in their communication with all members of the university community.
- Treat all members in a manner of teamwork and respect.
- Act in a manner that sets the standard for service in higher education and the core principles of Lakelanders Excelling at Professionalism (LEAP) - show respect, communicate, and be positive.
- Advise their supervisor with respect to all matters that require their attention, including their own performance.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year of undergraduate courses primarily in graphic design, with the possibility of teaching in Lakeland's interdisciplinary studies program.
- Create and engage students in coursework (assignments, projects, in-class learning activities, critiques, exams) that meet and assess course learning objectives.
- Oversee internships, co-operative education experiences, and independent studies as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external communities to establish and expand internship and co-op opportunities for students.
- Manage and maintain the Mac Lab with support from IT.
- Use university technology as directed, including academic platforms such as Blackboard and Starfish to support student learning.
- MFA in graphic design, art, or related field.
- Demonstrated teaching experience in subject area at the undergraduate level.
- Demonstrated knowledge of graphic design theory, methods, techniques, and industry-standard software, specifically Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Demonstrated knowledge and professional experience in vector illustration, image editing, page layout, brand identity, typography, and portfolio preparation.
- An understanding of the entrepreneurial side of freelancing is preferred.
- An understanding of nuances related to print and digital environments is preferred.
Undergraduate teaching experience will be highly valued, in addition to a willingness and ability to teach in diversified online or hybrid learning environments. The successful candidate will also exhibit a commitment to experiential learning both in and out of the classroom. Compensation will be commensurate with background and experience, and a comprehensive benefit program is offered.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, current curriculum vita, a statement of teaching philosophy, portfolio of professional and student work, and three current letters of recommendation. For additional information on Lakeland University, please visit our web site at lakeland.edu.
Lakeland University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
Lakeland University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Educator.