The Director, Special Events & Engagement oversees the planning, organization, and daily operations of special events and donor engagement opportunities on behalf of FGCU Athletics. This position oversees the development and implementation of events, auctions, and other engagement activities while working with venues, vendors, sponsors, committees, volunteers, donors, staff, leadership, and other constituents to meet and exceed the goals of FGCU Athletics.
High visibility tasks include Night at the Nest (including auction item delivery logistics), Athletics Scholarship Dinner, Academic Honors Luncheon, Hall of Fame events, Thank-a-Thon, FGCU Eagles Golf Classic, basketball game hospitality (including catering coordination), all aspects of Eagles Club benefit delivery, etc.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.Job Description
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversees day to day operations of Athletics events and engagement activities.
- Assists in the development of operating budgets and forecasts revenues and expenditures.
- Researches purchase options, prepares requisitions, and monitors revenue and expenses.
- Serves as a liaison with the university community, vendors, and the general public. Display the highest possible level of customer service to both external and internal constituents. Communicate with invitees, guests, sponsors, speakers, venues, vendors, staff, and leadership about events.
- Collaborate with President’s Office, Athletics Director, Foundation, Alumni Association, Eagles Club, etc. on select events and engagement opportunities.
- Recruits, hires, and trains a staff of OPS, support and professional employees that assist to assist at various events, with a problem- solving philosophy to ensure proper flow and staffing.
- Coordinate graphic and video needs for events with graphics and video production teams.
- Create and coordinate content for FGCU Athletics Events & Engagement social media account(s).
- Administer all stewardship and benefit delivery for the Eagles Club, scholarship donors and fundraising events attendees and prospects.
- Ensures all regulations, policies, procedures, and safety practices are followed.
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies, procedures to ensure effective operations.
- Develops and implements new initiatives to improve operations.
- Complies with all University, ASUN or CCSA (Coastal Collegiate Sports Association) regulations, as well as all NCAA rules and regulations. Remains current with all changes in NCAA, as well as changes to University, ASUN and CCSA rules and regulations regarding intercollegiate athletics. This includes the requirement for self-reporting any possible rule violations and participation in the annual NCAA continuing education programs including passing the NCAA certification test, if applicable. Any violation of NCAA rules is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Additional Job Description
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field.
- Five years of full-time professional experience in a higher education athletics department related to the position.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications will be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Valid Drivers License
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of applicable safety requirements.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, and legal constraints of fundraising, event planning and donor engagement within higher education.
- Knowledge of and commitment to goals, values, and mission of Florida Gulf Coast University, FGCU Foundation and Athletics.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn software packages including Raiser's Edge, Greater Giving, Raiser’s Edge NXT, Paciolan and Salesforce. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated skill in planning, developing, and producing events and special projects. Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
- Ability to effectively manage the work of others by providing information, guidance and motivation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative relationships with both internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and nationally.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Salary Range: $42,000 to $50,000 annually