If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board
Position: Assistant or Associate Professor
Faculty Unit: Faculty of Business & Government; Program: Hospitality & Tourism Management
Closing Date: Applications will be reviewed beginning October 1, 2022 and position will remain open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Faculty
- A doctorate in hospitality, tourism or business is preferred. A strong emphasis on application of expertise and lodging best practices is essential. Significant hospitality and tourism management experience is required as a way to bring practical knowledge into the classroom. Applicants with master’s degrees and extensive, proven, and relevant professional and teaching experience will also be considered.
- Passion for the hospitality and tourism discipline is essential, and a desire to mentor a diverse, global student body toward a successful career launch is key in this faculty role.
- The ideal candidate will be committed to ongoing research in the field of hospitality and tourism and will seek opportunities to integrate and apply scholarship-gained knowledge into the classroom.
- The individual should be completely committed to helping prepare students to serve in their families, communities, and the Church throughout the world, with a particular emphasis on Oceania and the Asian Rim region. Brigham Young University–Hawaii gives preference to women and men whose background and/or experiences mirror the many cultures and geographic regions reflected by the student body.
- As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU-Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing as authorized under Title 41 CFS § 60-1.5 (a)(6).
- Teach approximately 30 semester credit hours per year across three semesters in some (but not all) of the following subject areas: facilities management, and operations, financial decision making, hospitality and tourism leadership and talent development, guest relations, and convention and events management. Actual course teaching assignments are based on program needs and the candidate’s specific experience.
- Be engaged in the programs and activities of the Center for Hospitality and Tourism to support the HTM academic program and the development of its students (https://hospitality.byuh.edu/).
- Scholarship, creative endeavor, ongoing professional development, and university service are required.
- Rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
- A limited relocation expense package is provided.
- Annually renewable contract eligible for Continuing Faculty Status (BYU-H equivalent of “tenure-track”).
- Standard BYU-Hawaii benefits package for regular full-time employees.
Procedures: Please complete and submit the following application materials using our online portal.
1. Official BYU-Hawaii online application via BYU-H’s HR portal.
2. A letter of application and current curriculum vitae.
3. The “Fit Statement”: Response to the following question as a separate statement “Why do you consider yourself to be a good fit for BYU-Hawaii?” Response should be submitted with other application documents.
4. Three letters of recommendation written specifically for this position. Letter writers must include their names, addresses, and telephone numbers and send their letters via our online portal when prompted. Their contact information will be entered by you when you submit the online application.
5. Official transcript from the institution where last degree was received; electronic or scanned copies (as long as the Registrar’s seal is evident) should be included with other application documents.
6. Optional - A link to a 10-minute (minimum) teaching video posted online.
Starting Date: Fall 2023 or Spring 2023 if available.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered*
Contact: Office of Associate Academic Vice President –Faculty
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762
* More information may be requested as you progress through the recruiting process.