Associate Director, Student Health Outreach & Promotion Location:
Santa Cruz Job ID:
Find your path working at UC Santa Cruz in Student Health Services. Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP) is seeking an Associate Director. We are committed to the outreach and promotion of good health to a diverse student community. The position offers a 4-week summer furlough. Positions with summer work breaks contain regularly scheduled periods during which the Associate Director, Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP) remains an employee, retains health benefits, but is not at work.
Thank you for your interest in Student Health Services at UC Santa Cruz.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-10-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UC Santa Cruz Student Health Services (SHS) strives to create a caring and supportive environment to assist students in improving their physical and emotional well-being to aid in their academic success. We are a full-service medical facility offering clinical, educational, and psychological services to diverse students on the UC Santa Cruz campus. Comprising a variety of Clinical Services, including Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Laboratory, and X-ray, SHS also has an onsite retail pharmacy, offering both prescriptive pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter products. Other departments include: Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP), home of health education and health promotion services; CARE (Campus Advocacy, Resources, and Education) the advocacy and prevention education office that supports survivors of sexual assault, stalking, and dating/domestic violence; and Student Insurance Programs. Student Health Services employs approximately 120 staff including physicians, psychiatrists, case managers, lab scientists, pharmacists, nurses, radiologists, and many other clinical and administrative staff. We welcome staff with interest and experience in working with students with a wide range of ethnic, cultural, and gender identities.
The Associate Director of Student Health Outreach & Promotion (SHOP) supports all of the functions of Health Promotion Services by designing and implementing health promotion and primary prevention programs for UCSC students. Under the general direction of the Director of SHOP, the Associate Director engages the campus in proactive and sustainable initiatives focused on building resource awareness, resiliency, self and community-care and increased capacity for health related skill-building. The goal is to apply evidence-based practices to cultivate the campus community’s capacity to deliver developmentally and culturally appropriate programs that meet the unique wellness needs of UCSC students. Given the dynamic nature of community health and wellness, candidates should be comfortable with ambiguity and possess the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $79,750 - $93,200 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Partial Year Career appointment, with a 4-week furlough
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 004399 (HEALTH EDUCATOR 4)
Travel: Never or Rarely
50% - Program Development, Leadership and Supervision
- Utilizes research and data, demonstrates best practices, and models of health, change, and student and community engagement to drive development of health promotion strategies, policies, goals, programs, and services.
- Ensures that health promotion employs a strategic combination of environmental, group, and individual-level interventions.
- Provides strategic leadership on campus for harm reduction and community well-being by advocating on all fronts for policies, programs, and initiatives that support student health and wellbeing at individual and community levels and promote desired outcomes.
- Incorporates multicultural diversity and social justice concepts and principles into health promotion services.
- Provides leadership, supervision, support, training, and coaching to the assigned health promotion staff.
- Additional supervisory roles include hiring, training, evaluative feedback, scheduling, time-off requests, and management of time reporting records. Responsible for performance management of assigned SHOP staff in accordance with UCSC guidelines including coaching, counseling, discipline and dismissal.
- Prepares probationary and annual performance evaluations adhering to internal and campus deadlines; Monitors and encourages staff participation in continuing education and professional development activities. Applies appraisal techniques and employee relations principles to effectively and fairly review and evaluate job skills and performance.
- Develops and maintains an open communication environment; Works cooperatively with all staff to ensure open and direct communication. Resolves conflicts and responds to employee grievances in accordance with UCSC guidelines.
- Assists the Director with general leadership of the department, including serving roles in the Director’s absence when necessary and/or as directed. Back up and assist Director with overseeing the day-to-day office activity and unit operations; hire, train, manage, supervise, and evaluate paid and/or volunteer student staff, interns, and/or peer educators.
- Oversees some internal administrative and financial processes. Makes budget recommendations and monitors approved budget and expenditures for areas of responsibility. Assists in identifying resources and funding sources as needed.
- Creates quarterly reports for Health Promotion initiatives including measurable goals and objectives and program evaluation.
30% - Outreach and Community Engagement
- Represents the UCSC Student Health Center to the Office of the President and /or community organizations.
- Develops a strong network of relationships with University constituents (e.g., Student Affairs, Athletics and Recreation, Residential Life, Greek, Alumni, academic deans and programs, new student orientation, study abroad) to maintain and develop programming partnerships, and facilitates broader campus discussions to coordinate a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to health and wellness for students.
- Actively participates in and/or leads departmental, divisional, and/or campus committees or workgroups as requested and approved.
20% - Student Development
- Meets/consults individually with student clients on various topics that impact college student health and mental health and makes appropriate referrals to campus and community resources.
- Works closely with Student Health Services and other campus/community partners to foster and maintain a positive working relationship to facilitate effective and efficient student referrals.
- Establishes and maintains relationships to outreach to new students; including orientation programs, residential life, student organizations, student resource centers, etc.
- Mentors and develops student staff as program leads.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training. Related fields include but are not limited to Public Health, Health Promotion, Educational Leadership, and Higher Education.
- Experience developing, implementing and evaluating health promotion programs, typically achieved after 5-7 years relevant experience or equivalent education/experience.
- Thorough knowledge of health education theories, research, and program assessment; planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of health education programs; and industry standards for the delivery of health education in higher education.
- Experience interacting with diverse individuals of various ethnic, racial, social, cultural, economic, political, sexual orientation and gender identities.
- Ability to maintain strict confidence of confidential information and perform a wide range of duties that require tact, sensitivity, independent judgment, diplomacy, flexibility and discretion.
- Organizational Skills - Ability to successfully track and follow up on a wide-variety of tasks and to efficiently perform tasks with accuracy.
- Problem-solving Skills - Ability to perform effectively and efficiently to meet project objectives and produce key results within defined parameters; good judgment and analytical skills with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Written Communication Skills - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; ability to read and interpret written information; ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Verbal Communication Skills - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and obtains clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings; ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Customer Service Skills - Manages difficult or emotional situations; responds promptly to needs; solicits feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Strong sense of compassion and ability to maintain calm demeanor in the midst of stressful situations. Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration, regardless of status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Teamwork - Creative, flexible, and innovative team player; Ability to work with all levels of management and team members with diplomacy and tact; ability to interact and work collaboratively and effectively with all types of people and personalities and in all situations; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback.
- Adaptability - Ability to handle stressful situations while effectively prioritizing and meeting competing deadlines and maintaining professionalism and composure in a fast-paced environment; quickly and easily adapts to changing situations; comfortable with ambiguity; demonstrates versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Advanced degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Employment experience in Higher Education.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Selected Candidate will be required to successfully complete a pre-hire criminal history background check prior to formal job offer.Must complete HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act) Training within 30 days of hire.Must complete Title IX (Sexual Harassment) training every two years.Will be required to comply with current Student Health Center employee health safety requirements for health care workers as defined by state and federal regulatory agencies; current health safety requirements to be discussed during interview.If selected candidate engages in scheduled telecommute work, they must be able to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.Job will require occasional working of non-traditional hours.The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;