Intellectual Property Analyst Location:
Santa Cruz Job ID:
This position may be considered for partial or full remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion. While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working in person at a UCSC worksite.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-30-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Managed under the UC Santa Cruz Office of Research, the Innovation & Business Engagement Hub (IBE Hub) is the point of entry for industry partners and entrepreneurs to connect with UC Santa Cruz discoveries, innovations, resources, and talent. Within the IBE Hub, the innovation transfer team is responsible for identifying, fostering, protecting, and licensing innovations resulting from UC Santa Cruz research with the goal of enabling the development of products and services for public benefit. The team works closely with faculty, students, and staff on the innovation disclosure and assessment process, and coordinates with external legal counsel and UC Research & Innovation to protect UC Santa Cruz intellectual property, including patents and copyrights, and engages companies and other organizations to facilitate access to intellectual property rights through the licensing process. The innovation transfer team also collaborates with partners in the IBE Hub focused on industry alliances, corporate relations, and innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives.
Under the direction of the Director of Intellectual Property Management and in coordination with the Assistant Director of Innovation Transfer, the Intellectual Property (IP) Analyst will assist with managing a portfolio of intellectual property assets and license agreements. The IP Analyst will have responsibility for coordinating invention disclosure and IP protection processes, conducting legal and policy analyses, drafting standard agreements and advising on clauses, supporting marketing and commercialization strategies, monitoring licensee compliance, and organizing campus educational and outreach programs.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $79,150 - $89,150/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus - Kerr Hall
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 006237 (IP OFCR 2)
Travel: Never or Rarely
25% - In charge of multiple office processes, including invention intake and reporting to the UC Office of the President, patent prosecution due date docketing and data analysis, assuring inventor compliance with IP requirements, communicating instructions to outside counsel, and collection and reporting of technology transfer metrics and records.
20% - Under general supervision, drafts standard intellectual property and tangible research property agreements based on established templates, advises on clauses in these and other agreements, and assists with legal and policy analysis and negotiation.
20% - Under general supervision, conducts marketing outreach efforts, assesses commercial interest in a technology, solicits and communicates company feedback on inventions, inventors and senior tech transfer staff, and drafts and posts online non-confidential summaries of inventions.
15% - In coordination with systemwide and campus counsel, monitors licensee compliance with all licensing obligations and works with senior tech transfer staff to intervene or initiate action when commitments are not met.
10% - Organizes technology transfer events, conducts outreach for the office and facilitates tech transfer communications within the university.
10% - Other tasks to be assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in science, business, legal studies, or related field and/ or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Working knowledge of standard principles, theories, and concepts such as laws, regulations, and practices pertaining to the protection and management of intellectual property and university technology transfer.
- Working knowledge of scientific and/or engineering principles.
- Ability to market early stage inventions to industrial partners.
- Organizational and time management skills to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Demonstrated collaboration skills.
- Critical thinking skills and growth mindset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an inclusive and empathic manner.
- Demonstrated ability to perform high level analytical and marketing assignments for new inventions.
- Advanced degree in science, MBA, or JD (or equivalent experience and / or training).
- Experience with contract law and intellectual property law (particularly patent law) and terminology.
- Experience with patent docketing software and/or intellectual property management software.
- Working knowledge of the patent filing and prosecution process.
- Experience with University of California Intellectual Property policies and systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- This position may be considered for partial or full remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion. While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working in person at a UCSC worksite.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;