As the Associate Professor, Child and Youth Studies, you will teach undergraduate and graduate courses, be involved in course and curriculum development; engage in productive research and grant seeking activities; work effectively with diverse populations of students, colleagues, and members of the community at large; and serve on dissertation committees. You will also help to grow the emerging community engagement track of the current Child and Youth Studies program and may provide leadership as the program coordinator. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus, at off-campus sites within our region, or online.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.Job Description
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
Additional Job Description
- Teaches courses in the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs in the College of Education; supervise student teachers; and advise students.
- Conducts research in the area of specialization and maintains an active agenda of scholarly activities according to Boyer’s principles of scholarly research. When appropriate, secures external funding.
- Collaborates and engages in active service to the department, college, University, and the community.
- Actively assists with student recruitment and retention.
- Participates in accreditation activities, as needed.
- Works to establish partnerships with the community related to education and/or community service areas related to families, children, and the community at large.
- If assigned duties of program coordinator, runs all administrative aspects of a program which include program curriculum, assessment, scheduling, and program review and reports.
- Works collegially and actively with other department faculty and staff on program/curriculum development and program assessment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Doctorate in an educational field or a related area (e.g., Child Development, Youth Studies, Community Development, Curriculum & Instruction, Marriage and Family Therapy, etc.) from a regionally/nationally accredited institution or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities, community-based educational agencies, and children, youth, and families within diverse settings
- A sustained record of published scholarship and evidence of quality teaching and meaningful service (in line with a faculty member at the associate professor rank).
- Demonstrated community-based educational organization leadership and management in the areas of teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Experience in supporting non-profit organizations/leadership settings.
- Current Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) Certification.
- Current or former PK12 teacher certification.
- Experience in teaching in a public or private school setting in the United States or USA school located overseas, and/or teaching experience in preschool settings.
- Experience in establishing relationships with the community to further the education of children and youth.
- Interest in working in diverse settings/supporting diverse environments.
- Experience in working with nontraditional educational school settings with community agencies, families and children.
- Experience in developing and/or growing a Child and Youth Studies program.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching.
- Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2022.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/ scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials
- Unofficial Transcripts- include transcripts for all degrees earned
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Cover Letter & Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of experience in research or scholarship as it fits discipline
- Five (5) Professional References
Additional Required Materials (the application will ask you to upload any additional required documents from the job posting.) The following are the additional that should be uploaded in that section:
- Three (3) sample research publications
This position is listed as “open until filled;” however, applications received by November 30, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.