Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All Faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; and provide service to the College, University and Community
Assignments will include teaching, at both undergraduate and/or graduate levels, as applicable. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region. Additional duties may be assigned by supervisor.
Courses may include News Editing, Grammar, Journalistic Writing, and New Reporting and Writing.Job Description
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Be an engaging instructor utilizing high impact practices to help students to understand the core principles of practices of Journalism.
- Develop course syllabus with readings and assignments adhering to University policies; development of visual modes of presentation and facilitate student discussion
- Utilize Canvas as the LMS.
- Teach analytical reading skills and teach how to construct a well-written argument with thesis, supporting evidence and citation, and depth of analysis.
- Facilitate student learning with feedback on written assignments, the timely entering of grades and response to emails (24hrs), and the holding of virtual office hours.
Additional Job Description
- Master’s degree and/or 18 graduate credits in Journalism or related discipline.
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ph.D. or related terminal degree and 18 graduate credits in Journalism or related discipline.
- Experience teaching at university level
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Promote a common purpose consistent with stated University goals and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning environment.
- Possess the knowledge of general written standards and procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies.
- Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse population while understanding and respecting each other’s view of the world, personalities and working styles.
- Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and collaborates with others to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.