The School of Nursing at Florida Gulf Coast University invites applications for a full-time, twelve-month continuing appointment as an Instructor, Nursing faculty beginning August 7, 2022. Individuals with clinical practice experience in medical/surgical, community and public health, or mental health nursing are especially encouraged to apply. Search will be open until filled, however applications received by March 31st will receive priority consideration.
Candidate’s primary role will be teaching theory, laboratory, clinical courses in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing based on qualifications and experience in nursing. Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites and clinical agencies within our region.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Marieb College of Health & Human Services encourages individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.Job Description
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
Additional Job Description
- Teach theory, laboratory, simulation and clinical courses as assigned each academic year (Fall, Spring and Summer semesters)
- Provide professional academic advisement/mentoring to students
- Contribute to course and/or curriculum development
- Participate in student recruitment and admission selection
- Engage in scholarly activities at the level required to ultimately apply for promotion to the next higher Instructor rank
- Actively participate in School, Program and College faculty meetings, and provide service to the University, College, School, Program and professional community as career advances
- Actively participate in program accreditation and continuous improvement activities
- Function as an effective, active and collegial team member
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Graduate degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited nursing program and regionally accredited Institution or equivalent accreditation (must be awarded before August 7th start date)
- Minimum of three years of practice experience as a licensed registered nurse (RN).
- Licensed, or eligible for licensure, as a registered nurse in the State of Florida.
- Current BLS certification for healthcare providers.
- Five or more years of RN practice experience.
- Medical/surgical, community and public health, or mental health nursing experience
- Evidence of scholarly writing
- Experience teaching in a nursing program
- Experience with simulation in nursing education
- Experience with the development and delivery of on-line coursework.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated expertise in nursing knowledge and clinical nursing practice.
- Committed to engaged learning & teaching
- Strong communication skills
- Strong computer skills using web-based applications and Microsoft Office.
- Actively collaborates both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning.
- Must value continued scholarship as well as service to the university, college, school and community.
- Competence in use of technology in teaching and distance learning.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 12-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2022.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials with their application for it to be considered complete:
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/ scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts- please submit transcripts for all earned degrees
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Scholarship Statement as fits discipline
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Licenses and/or Certifications (please submit copies for all applicable documents such as BLS, Registered Nursing License, etc.)
- Five (5) Professional References
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by March 31, 2022 will receive priority consideration.”