The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) at UT Health San Antonio invites applications for the position of Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions. The GSBS is one of five schools at UT Health San Antonio, which is the premier academic research center in the seventh-largest city in the country and is a recognized Hispanic-serving Institution. UT Health San Antonio is the chief catalyst for San Antonio’s thriving $40.2-billion-dollar health care and biosciences industry and ranks 6th in Texas for NIH funding. The GSBS offers over twenty academic programs consisting of Certificate (4), MS (8), and Ph.D. (9) degrees. The GSBS has nearly 400 graduate students and over 600 graduate faculty members.
The position requires at least 70% effort if there is a concurrent faculty appointment.
The Associate Dean will report to the GSBS Dean. The successful candidate must possess strong leadership skills and the ability to direct and enhance the educational experience for both potential and current students. The successful candidate must also:
- have a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- exhibit a high degree of initiative and organization as well as an ability to juggle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
- be solution-oriented and have demonstrated problem-solving experience
- have excellent communication skills
- possess outstanding management and customer service skills
- have experience interacting with and serving as an advocate for a diverse student population.
The Associate Dean also has direct reporting lines from other areas within the GSBS including the Office of Career Development, the Director of Training Programs, and the Senior Admissions & Recruitment Program Coordinator.
The major responsibilities of the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions are:
- Planning, developing and implementing the graduate students’ progress and retention starting with student recruitment through graduation.
- Establishing and overseeing strategies for student involvement in all aspects of school service activities.
- Overseeing a large portfolio of yearly student awards and recognitions.
- Providing leadership and expertise in admission, recruitment, selection, and yield goals established by the Dean.
- Strategic oversight of a multitude of current and future DEI programs and initiatives.
- Providing leadership and developing communication strategies for campus and program information to prospective students.
- Working with leadership in the other four UT Health San Antonio schools to develop institutional academic policies and points of collaboration.
- Overseeing major events/ceremonies such as orientation, candidacy, and commencement.
- Managing conflict resolution between students and faculty mentors.
A doctoral degree and background in biomedical science or a related field and twelve years of relevant experience are required.
Applications must include a cover letter including a personal statement of relevant experiences and vision for this position, a Curriculum Vitae, and a Diversity statement.
This position will remain open until filled; however, the search committee will begin to review applications on December 15, 2021. Questions regarding this position can be directed to Tim Raabe, PhD, Chair, Search Committee for Associate Dean of the Graduate School ([email protected] or 210-567-3714).
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer including protected veterans and persons with disabilities. All appointments are designated as security-sensitive positions.